INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Failed to Set Binnng

• Thank you received: 0

Failed to Set Binnng was created by Carl

Having spent a weekend understanding how INDI ties together I've managed to configure INDI and KSTARS and successfully use a Philips Toucam with EKOS. Both remote and local. However I get the feeling I've failed at the last hurdle.

The problem I face is that I'm trying to use EKOS with a canon DSLR 1000D. The client is set to local and after I've filled in all the relevant details when I press "Start Sequence" an error message is displayed at the bottom "Failed to Set binning" and the camera fails to take a shot.

I've restarted the machine to make sure no drivers where locked in. The version of Linux is Ubuntu 13.10 -- Saucy

Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Thanks

Carl
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Carl.
10 years 1 month ago #610

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Failed to Set Binnng

What version of KStars are you using? from PPA or source or something else? There was an issue with Ekos trying to set BINNING for all cameras, now it doesn't if the camera does not support binning. You need to have the latest libindi and indi-gphoto as well.
10 years 1 month ago #611

Replied by Carl on topic Failed to Set Binnng

Thanks for the reply

KSTARS is 2.1.0
INDI Library is 0.9.7 Protocol 1.7 revision 726523

Its a fresh install of Ubuntu and the INDI library was installed from PPA. I've attached a copy of my APT log file because I noticed a version of libindi (libindi0b:i386 (0.9.6-0ubuntu1) older than the current was installed during the install of KSTARS but I can't seem to un-install it without removing KSTARS
10 years 1 month ago #612

You need kstars-bleeding
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/astrometry.net
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
10 years 1 month ago #613

That worked thanks, I didn't realise you needed kstars-bleeding.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the time of the file transfer. Any options I can change, just seems to be a bit slower than when I use the EOS tools

Again thank for the help

Carkl
10 years 1 month ago #614

It is more inherently slow in INDI because the capture is done on the server side, then it is sent over to the client base64 encoded, so that takes time. You can check if compression is used (it should be by default). But the benefit is that you can use something like Raspberry PI to connect to your DSLR + Mount, and use Ekos remotely.
10 years 1 month ago #615

Thanks

I have been trying the PI as a headless unit and now you've clarified above I'll give it another go. They only complaint is that I have a web camera for a view finder and the Pi can't handle it for obvious reasons but I like to project aim and where its heading so I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks

Carl
10 years 1 month ago #616

Any update on this Carl? Did you try running the updated sx_ccd_test ?

EDIT: Ok, I updated Ekos so that guiding is suspended while primary CCD image is being downloaded, if the guiding is done via the guide head of the primary CCD.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
10 years 1 month ago #625

I had to upgrade my Desktop and Laptop to latest version of Ubuntu as you don't seem to have a version of kstars-bleeding for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Once upgraded it worked and I was able to take a test shot on the Cannon 1000D using this command.

The weather here in the UK has been awful to say the least. So I have not been able to do any further tests beyond from what I can I do in the daytime in my house. When it clears across I'll give it a try.

With the regards to the web camera. It not a guide camera but a view finder. And its using a LX modified Philips SPC880 which the PI doesn't support very well.
10 years 1 month ago #629

Time to create page: 0.852 seconds