INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Odroid Xu4 USB3 and ASI camera

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

Did someone manage to have a functional system with ASI120M (usb2 version) and Linux, preferably on a micro computer like raspberry or odroid?
I own a datyson t7 (clone of ASI120MM) on a RPi3 B+ and can capture single frame but no video nor guiding, what I bought cam for.

Regards,
4 years 10 months ago #38644

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I just hooked ASI120MM (USB 2.0 version) yesterday to Orion guide scope in my observatory and it's working OK in terms of capture and video. Now the video stream like slow (maybe just 4-5 fps). It's connected to StellarMate which is connected to home gigabit network, so the communication was fast with it. I'd imagine it would be a lot worse on WiFi.

The USB 2.0 version needs the firmware to be reflashed.
4 years 10 months ago #38645

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic Odroid Xu4 USB3 and ASI camera

I have beem using one working fine on a RPI3, but I am compiling from sources, not using the ppa repository.
Never tried video mode, will try that tonight and report. Are you guiding via ST4? Mine does not work, never did.
I have made extensive testing and debuging on the ST4 and came to conclusion that it really has a problem on that connection.
Can only guide with pulseguide.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by nMAC.
4 years 10 months ago #38649

Hi,
Thanks for reply, there're still hope so.

Can you write what you compile from source? Just indi, or ekos, and what else?

Second, as I wrote the T7 works only as single frame capture here. When I used it for guiding I lost the star because the the images are wrong. They are somehow wrong reassemble, something like a puzzle appear, and the guiding star move a lot, from a square to another.
4 years 10 months ago #38652

Hi again, I have compiled INDILib and Drivers on the RPI3. Also compiled KStars but not on the RPi, I am using a x86 Atom laptop (ASUS 1000H).
The RPi is just too slow for remote operation with KStars.

That puzzle means the camera can't download the image correctly, USB problems.It happened to me too and it's common with these cameras (USB2 Versions).
First, no hubs in the middle, they just don't work with the majority of hubs. Directly connected to RPi. Second flash the compatible firmware of the ASI120MM.
Third, USB bandwidth at 40.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David
4 years 10 months ago #38653

• Thank you received: 138
I'm thinking of getting an ASI120MM as a guide camera, thinking that because ZWO sold the RasPi based ASIAir, bundled with an ASI120MM, this would be a reliable way to get guiding.

But now I am hearing a need to jump through all sorts of hoops - compilng from sources, flashing firmware and so on. Even then operation seems flaky.

I've already got an Altair GPCAM which doesn't work with INDI on the RasPi and I don't want another Windows only camera.

Is it really that bad? I'm thinking of getting one and if it doesn't work out of the box return it. Am I wasting my time even trying?

Or can someone suggest a small, not too expensive, guide camera that does just work with INDI and the RasPi?
4 years 10 months ago #38664

You dont need to compile from the source, Just follow those 3 steps. If you already have one of course.

Also it seems the 120MM-S, the usb3 version works very well, without those hassles. But someone here can confirm that.
4 years 10 months ago #38665

Allready made the 2 first step, have to try the third one.

Many thanks for your answers!
4 years 10 months ago #38666

• Thank you received: 420
I used to use an ASI120MC-S (USB3 version) on an RPi3 running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 without any problems whatsoever. I switched to a mini-pc because that one has 4 Gb of memory which makes operating it smoother. But apart from having only 1 Gb of memory the RPi has always performed flawlessly.

By the way, I initially installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on the RPi and then upgraded to 18.04 manually.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 10 months ago #38667

Thanks! One more step, make sure it's on 8 bit mode.
4 years 10 months ago #38672

• Thank you received: 138
I think I may be getting to the bottom of this, there are two very similar cameras:

The ZWO ASI 120MM USB 2.0. This is a large diameter short camera with a T mount. It doesn't work although it might be persuaded to do so by installing different firmware.

The ZWO ASI 120MM MINI USB 2.0. Ths is an eyepiece sized longer camera, it has a C mount. This does work with the RasPi and ZWO bundle it with their ASIAir version.

The one I'm thinking of getting is the second, the MINI version. The ZWO forum and their support is pretty unequivocal that the 120mm mini works and the 120mm doesn't, at least with ASIAir.

Has anyone used the ASI120MM MINI with vanilla INDI rather than ASIAir?
4 years 10 months ago #38680

Yop...sadly, it happens to me.... Grrrr

Ok, I confirm :
No hub and nothing else. I'm testing the camera on RPi3B+ alone by day (right now).
Bandwidth is on 40, Depth on 8bit.

And it doesn't work.

I allready flash the firmware but how can I be sure that it is the good one ?
I tried many parameters : restrict to 640x480, in strealming AND picture controls. I move bandwidht too but go back to 40 and even tried 16bit mode ;-)

Here is cpature of my ekos sreen with the puzzle...I have an average of 1/4 images like this.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by David.
4 years 10 months ago #38683
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.737 seconds