INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi driver configs not saving / reloading

• Thank you received: 1
Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, maybe there are some settings that I haven't configured correctly, but I am having issues getting the various indi drivers I use to persist and then reload their values across sessions. Some values stick, but many do not. I have a series of XML files in my ~/.indi folder, but they have very little data in them.

Basically I connect my devices, go through the various tabs and set everything how I want it, and then I click the Save button on the Options tab. Is that correct? I've also tried explicitly clicking the Load button to restore saved values, but that doesn't seem to help. And does the Default button restore hardcoded defaults, or save the current values as the defaults? I'm assuming that all of the available properties should be persisted to the xml files, is that correct?

I have this issue with the eqmod, v4l2_ccd, gphoto and joystick drivers, and I'm running indiserver in a terminal window, and connecting to that as "remote" in kstars, even though it's all on the same machine...

Thanks.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Guy.
10 years 1 month ago #753

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Only a selected number of properties per driver get saved to the configuration file. What properties that are not saved?
10 years 1 month ago #755

Ah ok, that's fine then. It's just that some of the settings seem to be remembered, and some don't. And when I look at the .xml files in the .indi folder they don't seem to have a lot in. As an example here's what's in my GPhoto CCD_Config.xml file

But various settings are seemingly saved across sessions, such as the ISO, but other things like the image size I have to configure with every use.
10 years 1 month ago #759

Besides ISO and image size, what other settings you want saved?
10 years 1 month ago #760

To be honest, if there's a possibility of setting a property on a driver I would expect it's to be saved/restored. That's what I was expecting I think, that all configured values would be dumped out to disk for loading at the next session.

I appreciate something like that could be a lot of work!
10 years 1 month ago #762

It's not as straight forward as that :-) some properties are generated from the device in run time like the ISO. At any rate, the image size and binning are now saved if the camera supports subframing and binning. btw, the image size in gphoto driver is read only, how are you changing that?!!
10 years 1 month ago #763

Ah ok, that makes sense. I guess some of the values "saving" is down to the camera itself retaining values applied to it, and then the driver pulling them back out next time it connects up.

As for image size, clearly I can't remember the correct name of the property! But there is one that controls the size of the output from the camera. IIRC there are 3 options: "Compatibility", "Full Frame" and 1 other that I don't remember. It defaults to compatibility, so every session I need to set it full frame. Actually I say that I have to, I've not actually tried it on compatibility mode, I've always manaully set it to full frame. I should test what output I get if it's left on the default. The image info suggests that in compatibility mode the images will be 1392x1392 or something similar...

So given the dynamic nature of some of the properties, would it perhaps be possible to create a simple client that can query all the connected drivers and their properties and save them away / reload them as required? Just a thought, I'll have a poke around the API docs for clients :)
10 years 1 month ago #773

Time to create page: 0.751 seconds