Still weird issue with GPS time

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by SparkyHT on topic Still weird issue with GPS time

knro wrote: So I spent a few hours on this and finally go it working reliably. You'll receive a link to an updated StellarMateOS image by the end of the day. Do not edit any files, just use the StellarMate Serial Port Assistant tool to add the GPS and then restart your StellarMate afterwards and you should be set.

What are we up to in version? I still have the 1.2 image and saw on the SM website that it's up to 1.2.3
1 year 1 month ago #20556

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by SparkyHT on topic Still weird issue with GPS time

Kaczorek wrote:

knro wrote: Ok so I did a little bit more research and turns out using GPS for NTP is useless unless your GPS unit provides precise timing via PPS.

Why would you say this? The only difference is that without PPS you will not get precision higher than 1s, while with PPS your time precision is around 1us. All the rest would work just fine.

@SparkyHT I read your thread on CHRONY... well done!

Thanks. The version of NTP in MATE for RPI is just hosed, it refuses to run at all so I cannot use GPSD with it. Removing timesyncd didn't help either, so I started looking for other solutions and came across CHRONY. I purged all NTP files, installed CHRONY, and then modified my chrony.conf file to read the data stream coming off the USB GPS receiver. If it was a PPS capable receiver, I would've had better accuracy, but it appears to hold time just fine over the course of a night.
1 year 1 month ago #20557

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Kaczorek on topic Still weird issue with GPS time

I have just checked how I fixed NTP issue on Astroberry Server... The solution is to run the following:
sudo systemctl stop prefer-timesyncd.service
sudo systemctl disable prefer-timesyncd.service

The above disables preference of timesyncd over NTP.
1 year 1 month ago #20578

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds