INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Point to some help?

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I am trying to set up a "headless" Raspberry Pi 3 server with INDI server, reached via ethernet from my iMac. The Pi has Kstars running fine, as does the iMac. Can someone point me to a tutorial or set of instructions to make the connections. I am not technically trained but can find my way around pretty well. Thanks in advance.

Jack
6 years 3 months ago #21716

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Point to some help?

Do you have things like vnc, samba, indiweb, and indi all installed on the pi? Are they all configured? I made a script that gets all that work done for you if you want to try it. Or you can install what you like out of the script if you don't want it all.

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

once you have it all set up, just do these things.

1. Get the Pi on the same network as the iMac. It can be connected via Ethernet or Wifi to your home router or directly connected via Ethernet to your iMac.

2. Run an indiserver on it with your devices plugged in. You can do this via the command line on the Pi, using the INDI Web Manager, or you can even skip this step if you are using the INDI Web Manager since you can get KStars to start the INDI Server remotely using INDIWebManger.

3. Connect to it remotely from your iMac computer using an Ekos profile.
6 years 3 months ago #21717
Attachments:

Note that the host in the profile can be an IP address or the host name of your pi.
6 years 3 months ago #21718

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Jack Fitzmier on topic Point to some help?

Thanks very much for this! I have looked over the script but have not yet used it. After I reviewed your instructions I did a bit of tinkering, and suddenly, my iMac connected to the Pi over my home wireless network. Really amazing. This bit of experimenting got me moving forward.

Now I am working on getting the setup to run over an ethernet cable (I hope I can do this without a router in the mix) and get the indi web server working. For now, however, I am grateful for your assistance.

Jack
6 years 3 months ago #21742

Correct. if you want it to work with a direct ethernet, you will need to follow my steps or someone else's to get a static ip in the same range as your laptop. my script does this.
6 years 3 months ago #21749

Time to create page: 0.663 seconds