INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module

• Thank you received: 29
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I can run above module using the astroberry gps driver (which seems to allow connecting to the gpio 14/15 as foreseen by the driver).

Thanks, Helge
6 years 2 months ago #22527

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
The driver relies on GPSD service so once you configure successfully GPSD for your gps device you should be fine with the driver too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
6 years 2 months ago #22553

Hi Radek,

Tried tonight first time. Found some tutorials on GPSD configuration and got lost, which approach to go for, which updates to which config files are really needed. I connected to the Astroberry-GPS, but got „no fix“. The module I am using has a blue led that is flashing up every two seconds, so that seems to be working.

Can you point me to the right tutorial for astroberry users - or advise on how to configurate?

Thanks a lot for kind support!

Helge
6 years 2 months ago #22637

Just to add this link, leading to a tutorial which seems well structured, discussing also the UART settings. However this one suggests to disable the Bluetooth. I am not sure if completely, or just a specific route. I am actually using Bluetooth to connect to the Shoestring Bluetooth adapter.

circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projec...s-module-interfacing

Could you advise if I can follow these instructions or which parts I better not touch?
6 years 2 months ago #22651

• Thank you received: 375
I wouldn't go for disabling BT. No need to do this whatsoever. You only need these in your /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1
force_turbo=1

Just connect your GPS RX/TX pins to RPi TX/RX pins. The GPS will be available at /dev/ttyS0
Test the connection by running minicom /dev/ttyS0 - it should return NMEA data
Configure GPSD to use /dev/ttyS0 (in /etc/default/gpsd)
Restart GPSD (sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd restart)
Test GPSD by running gpsmon or cgps

If it's OK your INDI driver will be OK as well

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo, Helge
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
6 years 2 months ago #22656

Great, it is working!!!

Also thanks for the hint to connect RX to TX, I have to admit that I connected RX to RX...:unsure:
6 years 2 months ago #22659

Need to ask this question: I have difficulties to „fix“ (no fix) the connection. I.e. when running cgps iI can see 5-7 „PRNs“ which I interpret as available satellites (correct?), with numbers between 5 and 29. I am powering the module thru the GPIOs from the RPi. Measuring voltage (input), I see just 3 V, not 3.3 V. Could this affect ability to connect?
6 years 2 months ago #22772

Update: tried separate power supply for the 3.3V input to the module, situation unchanged.

Would be great if someone had an idea why gps is not connecting - strange, since it did before!
6 years 2 months ago #22798

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Radek,

I followed above guidance but I'm not able to get any data from Ublox Neo6m on RPi4 with latest INDI on Astroberry.
In my case Neo6m gps is built in RPi shield available from Keyestudio (KS0216 - RPI GPS Shield, ULRhttps://wiki.keyestudio.com/KS0216_keyestudio_RPI_GPS_Shield)

Brief description of my config steps:

1. GPS shield RX-TX jumpers are set correctly,
2. GPS RED led is blinking every 2 sec.
3. Astroberry virtual gps app - disabled.
4. Astroberry /boot/config.txt updated with lines:
enable_uart=1
force_turbo=1

5. minicom /dev/ttyS0 doesn't return anything, so INDI GPSD driver shows nothing

What am I doing wrong - can you help please ?

BR Chris

#### 10-18-2020 update

I was finally able to get it to work. The problem was related to minicom configuration.
In my case I had to set port name to /dev/ttyS0 and speed to 9600.
All the settings worked only when saved as default minicom profile.

Update of /etc/default/gpsd went straight forward (just added line: DEVICES="/dev/ttyS0").
Gpsmon showed my lat/long right after GPSD restart.
Now testing EKOS and other Astroberry apps using GPS

Thank you for the guidance included in this topic!

Clear skies
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex Garcia
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by euklides69. Reason: typos, fat finger
3 years 6 months ago #61834

• Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone, 

I'm reviving this old thread. I'm trying to configure my neo-6m GPS module

I've disabled virtual GPS, updated /etc/default/gpsd with devices="/dev/ttyS0"  changed the gpsd_options to =""and also changed the boot.txt to add the enable_uart=1 and force_turbo=1.

Using minicom, starts with 119000 bps when I change it to 9600 starts to receive data properly, using cgps -s does not lock anything, eventually times-out. Using gpsmon works perfectly and I can lock within a few seconds. Somebody mentioned changing the default settings of minicom, so I ran sudo minicom -s and changed the serial port settings, then I saved those values as default. If I restart the pi, for some reason goes back to 119000 bps.

Even if minicom is receiving data and gpsmon has a lock on the satellites, when I load Kstars and add aux gpsd it can never lock.

Any suggestions if most welcome!
2 years 11 months ago #71335

• Thank you received: 16
I found I had a lot of problems getting my neo-6m to work when using Kstars. Ultimately for me it turned out to be a USB3 interference issue. As soon as I had my USB3 QHYCCD camera connected through a USB powered hub the GPS would never lock. Not sure if you have an RPI4 and this issue but if you do you could try extending the serial cable so the GPS is a couple of meters away. If you're not using USB3 for any thing then you can probably ignore this comment.
2 years 11 months ago #71361

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds