INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What is causing this..?

• Thank you received: 140
What is causing my images to show like this...
ignore the white spots that are not stats as this was a test with lens cap on, but all images only show half the picture..
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by AstroNerd.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24076
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic What is causing this..?

That would be better if you gave some details on your setup. What camera are you using? Using any usb hubs?
Have you verified for defective cable? To me that seems an incomplete download due to USB bandwidth too high.
Please provide some details.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by nMAC.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24077

I just saw you have other topics on this, it's an SXVR M25c.
Have you tried connecting and testing the camera alone without anything else connected to usb ports?
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
6 years 2 weeks ago #24078

Replied by AstroNerd on topic What is causing this..?

Yes an SXVR M25c, it is perfectly fine connected directly to my PC with other software, today is connected to a powered USB hub which in turn to my rpi3, I have had a few issues as you have seen by my other threads, first of all I could not get it to stay connected at all, and changed the USB cable, now that seems better, but during the image download, the connection to the camera seems to get lost for a few seconds, then re connects and I get the image I posted...
So yes USB issues does seem like the problem, but not sure how to solve....
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by AstroNerd.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24081

I use a powered hub as I was told that the rpi3 would not be able to power any items like cameras, but my camera has its own power supply, so do you think I could connect direct to the rpi3..?
I also get a few other glitches with the SX CCD driver, like the fact that I have to use the same driver for my SX Lodestar and that causes issues, the settings in the camera image size come up for a Lodestar instead of for my SXVR M25 and cant change them...
6 years 2 weeks ago #24082

I had that problem too with my ASI120. First I would try the camera directly connected to the RPi, if it works, the HUB is the problem.
Some powered hubs have problems with certain chipsets in terms of compatibility, and the RPi chipset seems to be very picky on that.
But even directly connected you may have the same problem because the bandwidth may not be sufficient. In that case you can only try with another HUB.
Also try to keep the cable length as small as possible, some HUB's have problems with too lengthy cables. And if possible use a shielded one.

As for the glitches I can't say but I would suspect the fact that maybe the two instances of the same driver are conflicting each other.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24083

First of all I can’t use another hub as it is the Pegasus Ultimate power box with built in hub which is supposed to be industrial grade, this device powers all my kit and dew controllers and focuser, and is software controlled, so can’t really change it.

Also maybe this is also an issue, I run the rpi3 from a remote windows machine running the windows version of Kstars and Ekos, and the images are being saved to my remote windows machine, it is all connected via a CAT 6 cable, could that be an issue, if so could I save to a USB memory stick directly connected to the rpi3 as don’t think the memory card is big enough to hold a nights data, and it would save the images having to be sent down the CAT 6 cable to my PC...??
6 years 2 weeks ago #24084

The cable can be an issue, that really depends on cable quality and length.
And you can use an usb drive to save the images as you said, that's an option.
But first I would try the camera directly connected to the RPi just to be sure where the problem is.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24085

The CAT 6 cable is of good quality and 10m in length, the USB cable from camera to hub is 80cm and 50cm from hub to rpi3..

I am a little confused as the consensus of opinion when I started to put my kit and rpi3 together was that a powered hub was the way to go as the rpi3 did not have enough power, yet it seems that things will only work when connected directly to the rpi3, so not sure why the hub is recommended so much if it causes errors...
I have always connected my EQ6 mounts EQMOD cable direct to the rpi3 as that was recommended...I was told that they work better directly connected, but no mention of CCD cameras....
6 years 2 weeks ago #24086

For some cameras (i.e. QHY) the hub is better. I have Lodestar X2 and QSI 583wsg connected to a powered USB hub and zero problems. So maybe connecting directly to the RPI3 will not solve your problem, but at this time, it's a process of elimination. So try direct connection and see if that makes any difference and based on that we can move forward.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24088

Yes that is really the general consensus, most cameras do not work directly connected to the RPi but some of them only work that way. That is the case of my ASI120MM. There are two problems that can arise on the RPi, it can be underpowered or not enough bandwidth for usb. The first case generally is solved by a powered hub. The second case wich seems to be your problem, is more difficult to solve. You just have to find the best combination possible.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24090

Can I ask what driver you use for the Lodestar, as if I use the SX driver and the same SX driver for my imaging camera it glitches and the camera parameters for the image size come up in the imaging camer driver that are for the Lodestar and it won’t change...but if I remove the guide camera driver it works and I can change the image size to the default, the horizontal size is correct but the vertical keeps defaulting to 67 pixels instead of 2016....
It’s a different issue I assume....
I am going to test a bit more today with different connections and I will report back thanks for all your help.. much appreciated.. :)
6 years 2 weeks ago #24097

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds