INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SX-AO help - possible on Mac?

• Thank you received: 2
Hello. I am VERY excited to start using the INDI system. Can someone please tell me if this is possible: I want to use an SX-AO, with dithering, on the Mac with TSX running the mount. Currently, TSX does not have SX-AO support. Alternatively, something else can run the mount, but there are benefits to using TSX if possible. I know I can do this on the PC with SGP, TSX and PHD2 talking to each other - are we there yet with INDI?

Any and all help and/or input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
5 years 9 months ago #26516

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
I don't know, I ported KStars to Mac but I didn't write the SX indi drivers. The driver is there and I assume it should work, but I don't have an SX camera or AO system so I cannot test it myself. I say try it out and let us know how it goes! Jasem might be able to tell you more. Or maybe somebody who uses SX AO on Linux right now.

Good luck!
5 years 9 months ago #26518

• Thank you received: 174
Driver should work (tested with SX AO LF on macOS), but as far as I know there is no application which can use that driver. Peter
5 years 9 months ago #26521

Actually in terms of applications, I think PHD2 on OS X does support it Peter.

KStars doesn't do adaptive optics, only guiding, but there is no reason you can't use KStars for image sequences with PHD2 as the external guider and use the AO system in PHD2 along with that. For my system, I currently use KStars on my Mac for captures/plate solving/etc with PHD2 for my guiding. But I don't have an AO system.

Thanks,

Rob

5 years 9 months ago #26524
Attachments:

Oh yes, I see, sorry. I don't use PHD2 for years so I'm not familiar with the lates development. Last time I used it, AO was supported only by internal driver.

I have a short-term plan to add AO support to INDIGO (and thus AstroGuider as well). It may have a sense, INDI is IMHO far too slow for guiding with AO (up to ~50fps).

Peter
5 years 9 months ago #26526

Yes, the speed is one reason I was recommending using PHD2 for connecting to the SX-AO.
It's also the same reason I use PHD2 for my guiding but KStars for my imaging. It seems to give much faster and better results in guiding when PHD2 just takes care of the guiding. For me there are two reasons for that of course. The first is that I am running my devices on my raspberry pi and connecting to them from my Mac, so if PHD2 is running on the PI, the signals can be processed right there instead of having to be sent back and forth. The second is, I think you are right, since it has to be handled through the INDIServer I think that slows it down a little.

So Mike, the upshot is that I would try either running PHD2 on your Mac or on a Raspberry Pi, connect that to your guider and to your SX-AO. I would recommend using the ST-4 jack in the guide camera for guiding not INDI mount. You can make the "Aux Mount" your INDI connected mount. I would connect your imager and your telescope to your INDIServer running on either your Raspberry Pi or your Mac. Then finally connect your favorite INDI client to the INDIServer. I usually use KStars for that. I think it should work well assuming PHD2 has good AO support. Does that all make sense?

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 9 months ago #26528

There is ST4 port directly on SX AO. If required correction is outside limited range of AO, it "bumps" the pulse to the mount and recenter AO. Peter
5 years 9 months ago #26534

Yes, that is very helpful - thank you to you both! So, I had also asked about being able to use TSX to run my mount so that I got the benefit of PEC and ProTrack and DirectGuide - Can INDI talk to TSX? Or is that not going to happen?
5 years 9 months ago #26535

Hi Mike,

I don't know if the Sky X plans to support INDI. You could ask them. Many INDI clients can support a lot of the features that you might want, however. For example, both the Cloudmakers software and KStars support plate solving and image sequences as well as planetarium program features, and much more. PHD2 supports guiding and adaptive optics. I don't know which mount you have, but most mounts with INDI support periodic error correction either in the mount or the driver or both. I don't know about the specific features of the Sky X you are describing and how they are different, but I think that what I can get with KStars and PHD now gives me great results. Ultimately which system you choose will be your own personal choice. There are now quite a few options on OS X compared to a couple of years ago. You might want to try out some of these options. Cloudmakers software has a free (30 day?) trial and is very low cost, CCD Ciel is free, KStars is free, PHD2 is free. I ported KStars to Mac about a year ago and made many additions to it and Peter's company wrote the Cloudmakers programs. So we can help you out with any issues you might have. We are always trying to improve the programs.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 9 months ago #26536

Rob
Thank you again - I am definitely going to try this one way or the other. I was looking at the Paramount INDI driver page and it says this:

This INDI paramount driver interacts with Paramount mounts via TheSkyX TCP Server either locally on the same computer or across a network connection. Bisque does not permit a direct control of the mount and so TheSkyX must be started and configured first. To connect to TSX, the TCP server needs to be enabled. In TSX go to Tools->TCP Server. A pop up window will open. Click the check box Listening For Connections. This option will stay enabled and persist across TSX restarts.

When running on the same computer as TSX, connect to the loopback address of your computer (127.0.0.1). If TSX is on a separate computer, obtain the IP address of the TSX server. The port should be 3040 by default.

Doesn't this suggest that what I am asking about is possible? Is seems that KStars, etc will, in fact, use TSX to run the mount - which is exactly what I want. Am I wrong? I have controlled TSX through scripting before and know it can work very well (if its well implemented, of course).

Thanks!
Mike
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Mike S.
5 years 9 months ago #26537

Hi Mike,

Then yes, that is probably true. That sounds like it. Give it a shot.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 9 months ago #26538

Ok, will do.

Can you please link me to a 'getting started from scratch on the Mac' document or tutorial?

Thanks for your help
Mike
5 years 9 months ago #26539

Time to create page: 0.839 seconds