Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate?

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27279

• gbeaton
  • gbeaton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27280

Hi Greg, obviously you are asking for an USB dongle, and I have no advise - but does it have to be usb ? I have very good experience with gps boards connected to the GPIOs, using the astroberry gps driver.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27281

• gbeaton
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

HelgeMK wrote: Hi Greg, obviously you are asking for an USB dongle, and I have no advise - but does it have to be usb ? I have very good experience with gps boards connected to the GPIOs, using the astroberry gps driver.

Thanks @HelgeMK. I’m looking for something to use in the field. Very simple like what I had but is not compatible. I see some incredibly cheap stuff - like a USB key - on Amazon but i don’t know if they are good. Not enough reviews.

Last Edit: by gbeaton.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27283

Sure, I am also using the Pi I the field, squeezed everything into a small printed box, attached to the scope...

N.B. The shield delivers also the 3.3V for the gps module and connects to the RX / TX pins; it also hosts the driver for the focuser.
Attachments:

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27284

These would work:
1. a.co/awVJ07b
2. a.co/2zPbfnG
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbeaton

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
Last Edit: by knro.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27289

• gbeaton
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

HelgeMK wrote: Sure, I am also using the Pi I the field, squeezed everything into a small printed box, attached to the scope...

N.B. The shield delivers also the 3.3V for the gps module and connects to the RX / TX pins; it also hosts the driver for the focuser.

nice setup! :)

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 1 week ago #27290

• gbeaton
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

knro wrote: These would work:
1. a.co/awVJ07b
2. a.co/2zPbfnG

Perfect, I'm going to order one now.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 6 days ago #27312

i use this and it works perfectly
Attachments:

Takahashi FC-100DF, Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro, Baader modified Canon 550D, Orion 50mm guide scope with ZWO ASI 120MC, homebuilt BT Moonlite focuser, Asus Tinkerboard running Armbian Ubuntu 16.04LTS with kstars ( github.com/Patrick-81/NAFABox )
Last Edit: by petarm. Reason: error in link

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 6 days ago #27313

• fmozza
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I purchased a cheap USB GPS dongle on ebay - If you google Ublox and gpsd, you'll find the approrpate version of the chip that works best. Mine doesn't have the high precision PPS time bits, but it works well. Just search for gps ublox 7020 :dongle.

I have this attached to my Raspberry PI 3B+. Use the auxiliary GPSD indi device and you're good to go.

Last Edit: by fmozza.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 6 days ago #27319

What about a cell phone running the NMEA app and the pi running the GPS NMEA driver?

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 6 days ago #27327

• gbeaton
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

rlancaste wrote: What about a cell phone running the NMEA app and the pi running the GPS NMEA driver?

Interesting, but I'm moving around with my phone too much and probably loosing connection - used to happen when I had a celestron connected to it, although that may not matter so much with the GPS.

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate? 3 months 6 days ago #27343

You only need to get the gps fix once for your observing location right?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica