INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrometry.net index files installation problem

• Thank you received: 41
The DEB files contain the fits, or some are downloaded via wget:

See e.g.
>apt-file list astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-10.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-11.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-12.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-13.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-14.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-15.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-16.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-17.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-18.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/astrometry/index-tycho2-19.bigendian.fits
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/doc/astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian/changelog.Debian.gz
astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian: /usr/share/doc/astrometry-data-tycho2-10-19-bigendian/copyright
5 years 7 months ago #28811

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

If you open the URL then you'll see a lot of FITS files. You can download them with

wget broiler.astrometry.net/~dstn/4100/*.fits

Then make sure to place the files in a location that you remember, for instance /astrometry (bad idea, you may want to use /home/<user>/astrometry instead). Finally edit the file /etc/astrometry.cfg and make sure it contains exactly one line like this

and of course make sure that the path stated there matches the path to the directory where you stored the files.

EDIT: it is not required to have exactly one add_path line. You can have more. But it is much clearer and it avoids confusion if you only have one.

EDIT 2: The data also are available from
data.astrometry.net/4100/

and

data.astrometry.net/4200/

That last directory contains a wget.sh script that allows you to download the 4200 files. It is not difficult to modify it to download the 4100 files.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 7 months ago #28812

Does this work? I had installed those packages before and seem to remember that Ekos wasn't able to use these fits files. But that was over 6 months ago and my memory may be rusty...
5 years 7 months ago #28813

It works if you are on a bigendian machine otherwise install the littleendian. However,
as written in your previous post, probably it is much easier to just download them from Dustin Lang's website and put them in a proper directory
and adjust the add_path in astrometry.cfg and I would also recommend to set parameter: inparallel. To the best of my knowledge EKOS just looks
for the binary solve-field which is the astrometry console program and working horse doing the solving job. If for instance you want to solve a bunch of fit files you can do:
for i in *.fit; do solve-field -D /tmp --no-plots --overwrite --downsample 2 --tweak-order 2 --scale-units degwidth --scale-low 0.1 --scale-high 180.0 ${i} -N ${i%.*}_wcs.fit; done

This process can also be speed up when you known approx. your ra/dec position and e.g arcsex/pix. See the parameters of solve-field.
And as mention in a previous post, you can also switch to the GAIA DR2 catalogs.

If one experiences any problems with EKOS/astrometry it is usually a good approach to first try to solve the image with console program solve-field (and the parameters used in EKOS) in the console with verbose output to see that is going on (proper catalog missing, not enough stars detected, etc...)
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Thomas Stibor.
5 years 7 months ago #28814

Yes I fully agree with you, apart from one caution: the use of inparallel requires enough memory to be available which may not always be the case, especially when using a raspberry pi and a small field of view (which I do). The FITS files quickly get rather big the smaller the FOV you use so be careful there!
5 years 7 months ago #28816

Yes, this is indeed true with the inparallel option and enough memory. It actually consumes a lot of memory, so running on RPI it is better switching it off !! Thanks for pointing that out.
5 years 7 months ago #28817

• Thank you received: 19
OK Guys. Thanx for your help, but this totally goes beyond my knowledge of linux.

The 4200 files were easy to install. i just had to klick "install" and it was done...

I dont know how to modify scripts, and where to start or use such things...

Most of the time plate solving works anyway, so maybe the files are not so neccesary anyway...

I think ill wait until the installation IN KStars works.

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 7 months ago #28818

• Thank you received: 161
The suggested workarounds do work. It would be better to have Ekos work as expected. I had mentioned the same problem 3 months ago.

indilib.org/forum/general/3391-requests-suggestions.html#25989

If you go to Solver/Options/Index Files and klick the first box, everything works as expected. The files are downloaded and installed. The next couple index files work as well. But when you get further down the list, at some point after ticking the box you'll get this error message and the file won't be installed. You can try any other file that is not already installed and you'll end up with the same error message.
5 years 7 months ago #28823
Attachments:

5 years 7 months ago #28828

• Thank you received: 19
Great!

Thanx Jasem, that solved it.

Do you also have an idea bout the other problems i posted today?
My logs directory is empty, though i have activted logs, and the skipping pictures problem on my dslr still occurs

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 7 months ago #28829

I assume changes have been applied since after installing the latest nightlies the error message doesn't show up anymore. Index files install flawlessly!
5 years 7 months ago #28851

Oh no, I was too quick. One additional index file installed correctly but the next one triggered the same old error message again.
5 years 7 months ago #28852

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds