INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

what webcam for autoguiding?

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,

I am new here, I just discovered the INDI library, when looking at software such as phd2 or Kstars/Ekos. I have a home made telescope, with custom electronics that I can drive from a computer (via serial port) to go to north, south, east, west. I intend to make my own INDI driver to be able to drive my telescope from Ekos for instance. Although I am not an experienced programmer at all, so I hope it is not too difficult.
I would like to use a webcam, for autoguiding. Do you have any suggestion on which webcam to use? I currently have a logitech quickcam, but it doesn't work. (image appears saturated with phd2, and Ekos says something like "cannot display fits image, it is saturated"). Or sometimes (after fiddllng with the parameters) I have a dark image with some white line... I have more or less the same result with indi_v4l_legacy or inid_v4l_philips or indi_v4l2_ccd. I am under kubuntu 14.04.
I read about the philips SPC900NC. Do you think I would have better results with it, if I can get one? What about long exposures? Do I have to modify the webcam (as described here for example: www.home.zonnet.nl/m.m.j.meijer/D_I_Y/spc900nc.htm ) ? Will INDI driver work the same if the webcam is modified? or better?

Thank you for you help!

S.
9 years 8 months ago #1524

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
ok, I got a Philips SPC900NC. And it works like a charm with indi_v4l2_ccd ! excellent. I get an image through Kstars/Ekos, or phd2 guiding. Many thanks and congratulation to the authors of the drivers!
Now I am wondering if it is worth it modifying the webcam for enabling long exposure. Will the driver keep working properly? Has anyone experienced that before?

thanks!
9 years 8 months ago #1525

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds