INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

subpixel accuracy - autoguiding

• Thank you received: 29
Would someone happen to know what "subpixel accuracy" in the context "guiding" means"?

is this a parameter to be set (eg in guide module) or a ratio related to the primary / guding scope or pixel size ccd / guidecam?

I came across the topic as I was wondering about the ideal guide scope (length/aperture) for my 500mm refractor, with ASI120 & ASI071 cams.

many thanks, Helge
5 years 6 months ago #29497

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
You can't set it. It's a result. The guide camera images a star. The guiding software then calculates a star profile (centroid) from the pixel data. The software then calculates where to move the mount, such that the peak of the calculated profile always stays at the same position. In theory, the mount movements needed to keep the star at the same position may be smaller than one pixel. If the software can keep the guiding error below one pixel of the imaging camera, you have subpixel accuracy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
5 years 6 months ago #29498

very clear, many thanks, Wim

...then, would anyone know KStars/Ekos subpixel-accuracy? For phd2 I have read somewhere that the accuracy is somewhere around or even less than 0.3.
5 years 6 months ago #29499

• Thank you received: 420
That depends on your guide cam, guide telescope and RMS. If, for example, the guide cam plus scope give 1” pixels and the RMS is less than 1” you get sub-pixel accuracy.
5 years 6 months ago #29501

Hi Wim,

Is this correct for ASI120 with 3,75my:

= 206 x 3,75 / 170mm focal lenght
= 4,54”

Means: with an RMS equaling 1, I will have on average a shift of 4,54” ? Somehow sounds a lot, or am I wrong?

So I would be better off with a scope with a longer focal length?

In case you can recommend some sort of literature, would be great if you can share a link.

Thanks once again, Helge
5 years 6 months ago #29508

• Thank you received: 420
The unit of RMS is arcsec so with 4,54” pixels and 1” RMS you get sub-pixel accuracy.
5 years 6 months ago #29509

Think, now I got it: if rms = 1” arc sec, it is very roughly a quarter of my arc sec per pix!

B)
5 years 6 months ago #29514

• Thank you received: 16
If you set the correct FL and pixel size in your guider software, guiding error will be displayed in arcsevonds. Otherwise it will be displayed as pixels.
I'm not aware of any books, specific on guiding. Two general books on astrophotography are
Making Every Photon Count, by Steve Richards, and
Long Exposure Astrophotography, by Allan Hall.
A good online resource is Craig Stark's website:
www.stark-labs.com/craig/articles/articles.html
Stark is the original developer of PHD guiding software.
As for best guiding fl, a general rule of thumb is that the guiding pixel scale shouldn't be more than about 2 times the imaging pixel scale. In practice, if your guiding is too coarse, you can't get good pictures, while if it's too fine, you'll be guiding the noise.
Hope this helps.
5 years 6 months ago #29515

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds