INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

permanently mapping USB hubs to /dev/USBxx

• Thank you received: 22
Hi everybody! Many of us have found the method for assigning udev rules so a device maps every time it's plugged in but many in our DIY crowd have also run up against failures when using things like "cheapduinos" that don't have a workable serial ID for udev to link to. One solution that worked for me was to assign the ports to physical hub addresses using the port device identifier. What happens is that regardless of port usage or connect/disconnect, each port remains the same. As long as you keep plugging things in the same way on the hub, your indi assignments won't change, even if you have an arduino that resets when DTR drops...a common problem among arduino users who use the on board usb socket to connect. (which is itself fixable by installing a jumper from reset to +5 when not programming).

Problem is...I forgot how to do those rules and can't find it again! !(/0o)!

Anybody got that udev usb bus:dev identifier code handy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29844

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
I think you should get that from the field that reads like "1-1.2". In that field, "1-1.2" marks the second port of a hub connected to the first port of the board (assuming there is only one bus on the board).

Found askubuntu.com/questions/49910/how-to-dis...b-to-serial-adapters, check the answer there.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
5 years 6 months ago #29848

• Thank you received: 22
That's kind of how I remember it too. I was hoping somebody had an example or a working one though, to save time.
I fiddled for a while and got some results but more work is needed. Udev wrangling can get time consuming.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Ray Wells.
5 years 6 months ago #29857

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds