INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

No exposure for 3 hrs - help understanding logfile

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Recently, I've had a load of problems - from software problems to guiding being awful. Last night, everything seemd to work (almost) well. So I set up the scheduler to capture throughout the nigt - 50 exposures. Waking up shortly before 4 am (to check the weather), I found the scheduler running but only 7 exposures taken - no exposure for the last 3 hours. Attached is the log. There seems to be nothing happening with the camera (Canon 1000D) between 00:37 and around 3:40, when I terminated the scheduler and manually started one exposure, the shut everything down.

So what is happening here? What happens at around 00:37 that stops the Canon 1000D from capturing?

OK, log file upload failed, I guess too big. It can be found here:

www.dropbox.com/s/xm9k5chyf9crc8n/log_21-29-09.txt?dl=0

Magnus
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Magnus Larsson.
5 years 5 months ago #30504

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The problem is here:
[2018-10-17T00:37:32.795 CEST DEBG ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.focus] - Focus newFITS # 1 : Current HFR  -1
[2018-10-17T00:37:33.219 CEST DEBG ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.focus] - State: "User Input"

It took me all day to trace the exact issue. So here is what I believe happened. Some clouds rolled and in-sequence-focus failed to pickup any stars after trying for several times, so it fell back to "User Selection". Even when running the scheduler, this allows a user if available to fix this issue. After 45 seconds, it times out. Turns out the time out function only caused the state to go from WAITING to IDLE, but the capture module was still waiting. It was not supposed to go to idle, it was supposed to be marked as aborted so that capture aborts and scheduler can take next action. At any rate, this is now fixed in GIT. I believe capture should also create its own timeout for focus in case it drags on for too long.

I would also like to make a suggestion not to run in-sequence-focusing for each frame as this can be time-consuming specifically for a DSLR. You can set it in Ekos options to how many frames to capture before performance in-sequence focus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus Larsson
5 years 5 months ago #30520

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

You are just amazing!! Thanks a lot!

OK, so you suggest that it is better not to use a HFR value as a criterion in the scheduler? Good point. It is really time consuming. Will try tonight.

Best,

Magnus
5 years 5 months ago #30523

no use it, but make it run every 3 or 4 frames instead of every single frame. There is option for this in Settings --> Ekos --> Capture
5 years 5 months ago #30545

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds