INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Automatic Meridian Flip. How does that work

• Thank you received: 19
Hi again!

I am testing around atm, that works OK. But today the thing was that i expected the mount to automatically do a flip when pac-man nebula crossed the meridian. But nothing happened. I am not sure what is meant to fill in at the field where it say "perform automatic flip if HA is > 0:00"
Can someone provide some information?

cheers
niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 6 months ago #30534

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 24
you can specify that in the capture module , at the very botttom under "Limit Settings."
5 years 6 months ago #30537

Yeah, i know that i find this there. But i don´t know what HA means, and what to fill in...
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 6 months ago #30540

• Thank you received: 24
Sorry misread, it's basically the no of minutes after the image crosses meridian you issue meridian flip.

This should clarify
5 years 6 months ago #30542

Thanks, this is great!

Now i thought if i leave the number at 0,00 it should do the automatic flip right after it crossed the meridian? But that did not happen. So do i have to set a minimum number there, right?

cheers, Niki
5 years 6 months ago #30544

• Thank you received: 301
That value is the amount of time that passed since the target crossed the meridian from the point of view of KStars. When this triggers, the mount is requested to slew again, and the driver manages the side of the pier. It is just a "goto target" request from the client, nothing else. So if the driver considers there's nothing to do for whatever reason, client can't do much.
Incidentally, I raised an issue on github for that particular problem, as there seems to be a progressive shift of the location of the meridian for the driver over the night.
To be on the safe side (sorry for the joke), you should always use a strictly positive value in the HA field, so that you are sure the driver will effectively do a pier side change.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #30546

• Thank you received: 26
I have yesterday noticed while testing my new alignment routine to sync my EQ6 mount to several locations in the sky using several captures and solves, the meridian flip didn't kick in unless about 2,5-3 hours after meridian. This was on one of the latest nightly builds. I couldn't figure out the cause: the location was correct, time, time zone,... I removed sync points to find out if it was causing it. This was both Schoestring adapter and Synscan PC Direct mode.

EDIT: just verified moments ago, I could not replicate this problem. I have found out NO sync point is entered when the 1-star alignment on the Synscan controller is done, just a positioning on the star where I am aligning on. I can replicate the same thing with a Schoestring adapter and a single tracking on a star and align the telescope on the star manually. The meridian flip is done on the meridian as expected.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Jurgen Kobierczynski.
5 years 6 months ago #30550

The mount tab had the correct HA? You can check the logs to see what might have led to this, they're not detailed enough to dig through.
5 years 6 months ago #30552

• Thank you received: 301
For reference I raised github.com/indilib/indi/issues/717 for what I observed, and the offset of HA causing a missed meridian flip is a direct cause of it. I apologize for the content of the logs there, I think driver may need additional debug output to spot the root cause.

-Eric

EDIT: of course, this may not be the case in the reported situation, take this with a grain of salt.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Eric.
5 years 6 months ago #30553

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds