INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Session recap - guiding Problems?

• Thank you received: 66
I noticed your guiding pulse lengths are 0. Something wrong there. Check guide options, configuration - two axis and auto star

and you have corrections for the graph turned off. Good to turn that on to see what's happening.
5 years 4 months ago #31356

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
When and where exactly are you calibrating? Did you calibrate just before this target, or in another direction, possibly flipped? Having offsets on a side of the drift plot is not always a problem, but I haven't followed on changes to the internal guider lately.
If the drift plot is elongated to the right, it means that guiding corrections are slowing down the mount too much when it tracks too fast. Or, on the opposite, it means guiding corrections can't catch up on the mount tracking too slowly. It all depends on the root cause. Limiting pulse lengths can help to diagnose which is which.
If the drift plot is centered to the right, it means that you have an early offset that can't seem to be recovered. Early offsets are not a problem with guiding, as long as the initial capture doesn't contain the drift from the original center to the new one. However, this may cause some guiders to consider there is too much deviation and abort the capture.
But before tweaking guiding, as you mentioned, overweight or incorrect balance should be investigated: perhaps the weight of your setup is causing the mount to track too fast or too slow.

-Eric
5 years 4 months ago #31357

Good point worth investigating, yes.

-Eric
5 years 4 months ago #31358

• Thank you received: 19

Two axis was on, autostar was off...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 4 months ago #31360

Because i thought so, i calibrated new on every new testobject. What i saw from time to time, when doing so, was, that the mount seemed to "not be strong enough" to give the guiding pulses enough power. Please excuse this very "picturey" spoken words, but i think you know what i mean..
Like: Dec axis forward. . . ok, dec axis reverse. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *nothing happens* or even one time i got an error containing "too much backlash"...
Unfortunately today, cloudfileds are disturbing my tests too...

I had a look on the guiding pulse lenghth. Could be coincidence.. There are lots of numbers there, and sometimes just zero...

Had a look on my weighting one more time, changed it a bit. Can it be that this is sooooo extremely sensitive?

On the other hand, considering all this problems, i have to say, that i never had so big problems with guiding when using my MGenII... This points out that it must be
a problem with the internal guider... Or the settings of it...

I changed the setting of the Pulse(?) now to 800. ATM its working ok.

Changed too much now, so i am not sure what caused the improvement...Letting a 600sec session run now on flame nebula, clouds are gone now, so maybe there will be some pictures usable. I have one 600sec image here, thats ok now.

Unprocessed, only debayered Screenshot of flame with 600secs here.

so long, i`ll keep you updated...
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by the.cakemaker.
5 years 4 months ago #31362
Attachments:

New tests yesterday. This time a comparison between internal guider and the MGen, mounted on the guiderscope. This was to exclude problems with the hardware or weighting issues.
Perfect round stars with MGen-guiding on the guidescope...
So it must be a settings-thing that the internal guider doesnt work satisfying.
Tried to use mgen in kstars yesterday too, to work from indoors, but always when i connected the mgen to usb, the mount did not connect to indi anymore...
Must be some kind of conflict at the usb ports.
I had to restart my whole system after this...

Nex try will be PHD2

cheers
Niki
5 years 4 months ago #31422

• Thank you received: 66
Some devices look like USB but in fact, they have a USB to Serial converter built in - probably your case with the MGEN. So to avoid conflicts, you have to use port mapping that Jasem describes in the tutorial - find on youtube. This is true in my case for the mount and GPS - the GPS has a USB interface but in fact its USB2Serial and I have to set the port and baud rate manually - not plug and play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker
5 years 4 months ago #31424

When you plug your devices, plug them in the same computer ports, and in the same order. This will result in deterministic device naming that you can save in your driver configuration.
The most stable method is to write udev rules to detect appearance of device and assign them the exact name you want. But these are not straightforward to create.
This said, on to your comparison between the internal guider and the MGen. The MGen is dedicated guiding hardware, with a very tight feedback loop between the frame and the corrections. When MGen calibrates properly, results are astounding. The only argument I have is the limited duration of exposure, which tends to make you think it is able to "chase the seeing".
Now, if MGen is able to drive your mount with good results, there should be a configuration of the internal guider that works for you. Start with 5-second exposure values, 0.5x tracking and [10,4000] ms pulses.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker
5 years 4 months ago #31435

Plugged in one after the other device. This way i was able to work, though there some strange behaviours of the system now, that i consider, has to do with mgen. I´ll have a try on your suggestions. Thanks for that. Tried another session today with mgen on scope. It works so great, that i think i will do it this way, and refrain from dithering... Hope that works for me.
Still hoping for full mgen support sometime :)

cheers
Niki
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by the.cakemaker.
5 years 4 months ago #31501

Lots of testing and examining later, i found the key (hopefully) in bad (or non-existing) Cable-Management.

Seems that the weight of the cables, pulling on the guidescope, could have moved it during the exposures.
I have releaved this stressed parts now, and am excited for the next test.

Cheers
Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
5 years 4 months ago #31600

Time to create page: 0.622 seconds