INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Open Source is not free to profit - a lesson

• Thank you received: 74
Hope I am preaching to like minded people but I have come across a product being sold which contained "Open Source" code and was being sold on the open market. The originator of the code has been used on Indi and Windows indirectly as the code in question runs on Arduino.

The thing that annoyed me most was the guy admitted to getting the original code from GIT "But had changed it" but didn't not even insert a reference in his "new" code.

I saw the code and instantly I recognised it and where it had come from even though I was not the creator of the code.

Open Source does not give someone the right (without consent) to reuse code,no matter how changed, to sell products.

As Indi is "Open Source" I would not want someone to profit from all the work certain members do for the benefit of many.

Sorry for sounding like a preacher but I akin this sort of thing to stealing IMHO.:evil: ;)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Seckler
5 years 4 months ago #31875

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I agree 100% with everything you wrote there!
5 years 4 months ago #31878

It depends, was it GPL or LGPL code? or BSD? INDI was made LGPL for this reason, i.e. to encourage commercial adoption.
5 years 4 months ago #31880

• Thank you received: 301
There are indeed many types of open source licenses, the main point of which is to protect the right users have to modify how the product is functioning when it embeds said open source elements.
Those licenses also make sure copyright and authorship are preserved and cannot be stolen.
However, if the use of an open source element is voluntarily hidden in a product, then that's a punishable infringement.
Also, some licenses explicitly require that any other module cooperating with the open source element be made open source too, to provide a mean for end-users to alter the behavior of the aggregate.
But most make no provision on whether a product embedding such element can be sold for money or not.
Dignity would say: if you like what an open source project does and find it useful, then support, donate and/or contribute. We do better together when we share. The open source licenses will make sure you cannot be restricted in your freedom to manipulate the licensed element.

-Eric
5 years 4 months ago #31886

The Actual statement is defined as follows which seems clear enough to me :

YOU MAY NOT SELL KITS OR DESIGNS BASED ON THIS PROJECT
without express written permission from the author. Schematics, Code, Firmware, Ideas, Applications, Layout are protected by International Copyright Law.

YOU CANNOT redistribute, market, manufacture or sell the ******** products, PCB's, circuits, builds, variations and units described or discussed herein or on this site.

YOU CANNOT redesign and sell variations based on the ********* OR *********** code without authorization and permission.

Permission is granted for personal and Academic use only.

I take your point but then that was your decision to allow it - there is a vast difference :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 4 months ago #31887

Oh I recall seeing this before and was struck as well. Good there are many alternatives out there.
5 years 4 months ago #31893

• Thank you received: 301
Please share more information about this. If there is an infringement to open source licenses, that business must align and comply, or be forced to shut down. We cannot allow our rights to be trampled.

-Eric
5 years 4 months ago #31898

It wasn't Indi code it was Arduino Code which has been used to drive focuser. Someone was selling a focuser kit that included the INO code that I recognised -OK the comments were not the same but a lot of variable names were and the layout was IMO.

The sad thing was the 3d printed adapters for different scopes were very good and could have sold them alone.

People should respect others code (hard worked and time given) when its given free to use WITH restrictions.

Maybe I am alone it thinking that - sad if true in this modern world :-(

The person did answer and was now doing a new version from scratch.

5 years 4 months ago #31904

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds