INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

bug(s) in KStars HIPS overlay

• Thank you received: 57
I realize this is an INDI forum, and I'm posting about KStars. Please refer me someplace else if appropriate.

The HIPS all-sky imagery overlay is a wonderful feature for framing targets. I've been experimenting with allocation of disk and memory for this feature, and find a repeatable bug.

Under View->HIPS All Sky Overlay -> HIPS Settings -> Cache, when I select other values than the default (Disk=1000, Memory=300) the HIPS display is corrupted. I can still see the image overlay but it's "smeared out" into horizontal banding that looks a lot like old-fashioned electronic static.

When I reset using the "Restore Defaults" button and restart KStars, everything goes back to normal.

This is on an Intel i3 box with 8 GB RAM running ubuntu 18.04.

Screenshots attached below to illustrate the problem.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Scott Denning.
5 years 3 months ago #32286

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
If you zoom in and out and pan around a little when you observe the artifacts, do they go away as the HIPS overlay downloads/loads new files?
5 years 3 months ago #32298

• Thank you received: 57
Once the HIPS overlay becomes corrupted, it stays messed up, even after restarting KStars, no matter how much I scroll and zoom. The only cure seems to be going into the cache options and restoring the default Disk=1000 memory=300, then retsarting KStars.

Oddly, I just tried it on my MacBook pro (16 GB RAM) and I get lovely high-res renders with higher cache settings. No sign of the corruption I see in ubuntu.

I'm fine with just leaving the cache alone, but it does look like a real bug.
5 years 3 months ago #32300

• Thank you received: 809
Ok then I don't know. I mainly use the Mac version so that's why I don't see the problem.
5 years 3 months ago #32304

• Thank you received: 133
I've seen similar corruptions regularly, too. They vary when you zoom in and out. I do not remember whether I had changed the cache settings at some point.
At the moment it seems to work, but i had reset my configuration due to a file corruption.
I'll check if I can reproduce that errors when changing cache size.
Does the cache algorithm somehow include cache size in locating where the cached data is? A 'flush HiPS cache' button might be nice.
5 years 3 months ago #32314

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds