INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Setting up VNC / Wifi Hotspot on Ubuntu 18.04 / 64bit

• Thank you received: 29
Hi,

I was trying to get X11vnc going on my mini pc, leveraging on the AstroPi-Script - but could not connect remotely. Otherwise, the script is working really well.

After some time and reading tons of information on the internet, I started to confuse myself, and could do with some help:

- what VNC server is most suitable (vino, realVNC, X11vnc)?
- what configurations are needed, which files or links to be established?
- how best activating / starting up the Hotspot?
- which VNC clients works best
- do I need a static IP address if I am in the field (with no WLAN available)
- any port opening / firewall settings to be applied?

For all of the above, there are many tutorials on the internet, each slightly different and I am not sure what works best with KStars/Ekos.

Many thanks for any support

Helge
5 years 3 months ago #32310

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I am not saying that my solution is the best, but I use vino and that works very well for me. So, my answers to your questions are

- vino
- I'll get back to that below ;-)
- I make sure that my user automatically logs in into Ubuntu and added vino as a start up application (System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Startup Applications). The command is

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server

- I only have Mac machines (iPhone, iPad and MacBook) and I use RealVNC
- no but you do need to know the ip address in order to make a connection. However, I have setup a fixed ip address on eth0 (since I always use wifi at home) and connect to it from my MacBook, which I also have given a fixed ip address (since I always use wifi otherwise)
- no

About the configuration of vino:
- vino *needs* to run unencrypted otherwise RealVNC cannot connect. Disable by typing this in a terminal

gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
- In order to configure vino you'll need dconf-editor. Start it from Applications -> system Tools -> dconf editor. Then go to org -> gnome -> desktop -> remote access and deselect "require encryption". Yes this sounds double but it is not.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge, Brian
5 years 3 months ago #32323

• Thank you received: 74
It may sound a stupid question but what Desktop are you using - Gnome,KDE etc?

You say Ubuntu 18.04 is that a true Ubuntu 18.04 or Mate base?

I ask because although Vino is supposed to work out of the box - it doesn't even appear (or work) unless you use the default Gnome desktop which Kstars doesn't like (graphics are u/s ) .Vino-preferences also seems to have gone or hidden.

So

I switched desktop from std Gnome Ubuntu 18.04 to KDE Plasma(can choose which to login too !) and found "Discover" which allowed a simple install and set up of X11VNC Server and Desktop Sharing programs. The latter,Gnome desktop !) does not seem to do anything but X11VNC Server provides a nice simple GUI to configure the service to how you want it to work(See note at the end regarding headless).

used this write up to install KDE Desktop linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasm...-bionic-beaver-linux

Anyway it works, no (well nearly) editing files a simple way to get remote desktop working - see attached screen prints

NOTE Update there is still some manual work to set up permanent passwords (the GUI passwords only stay for a session) and I am yet to test headless)

Without doubt,IMHO, its a mess compared to Windows or RPI Mate/Stretch using Realvnc server - as for the googled junk on VNC its a case of seeing the wood for the tree's :-)

This is a test set up on an AMD 64bit desktop so I dont know for sure it will all work on a Mini :-) or that everything works 100% but perhaps it maybe of some help.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge, Brian
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 3 months ago #32338
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
I use Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and the way I described makes Vino work :)
5 years 3 months ago #32339

One problem is that Vino does not exist in /usr/lib/vino nor does the dir :-) Not one my copy of Ubuntu Mate 18.04 As Vino package not installed no donf settings as you described exist either.

Installed vino package the program exists and settings exist but afer doing settings you have to accept incoming remote connection. Another setting then has to be changed to stop the system asking refuse or accept connection.

Then it works :-)

Thanks
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 3 months ago #32345

• Thank you received: 809
I tried several of them, but I think I liked the ease of setup, use, and performance of realVNC. I was using vino first, but found realVNC to be simpler to work with and it has an encrypted connection. The one issue that I found on the 64 bit system was that realvnc did not have a 64 bit version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
5 years 3 months ago #32386

I normally use Realvnc server but they no longer provide a free ,non cloud based , server - you have to pay silly money IMHO - Last time I looked.. Its only free on RPI hardware :-) Its now called VNC Connect - which means connect to your wallet :-)

5 years 3 months ago #32387

Gotcha, well I use it on Raspberry Pi, so that's why I didn't notice I guess.
5 years 3 months ago #32388

• Thank you received: 29
Resolved. Was following those tutorials to get there:

For setting up vnc (x11vnc) server:

c-nergy.be/blog/?p=12220

Difficult step was step 4 in above tutorial, needed to install nautilus-admin, see following approach:

www.webupd8.org/2015/03/how-to-run-gedit...autilus-as-root.html

To turn on hotspot automatically:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/183981/...ally-turn-on-hotspot

As vnc client I am using realvnc.

Hope this is useful and many thanks for support received!

Best, Helge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian
5 years 3 months ago #32430

5 years 3 months ago #32431

Time to create page: 0.803 seconds