INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Question for Pentax users

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Question(s) for Pentax users

Oh! Good to know! That'll help a lot for doing better flats. Thanks!
5 years 2 months ago #33280

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22
Continuing to have difficulty getting the k5 connected to either Gphoto2 or indi drivers. I now have the latest Gphoto2 and LibGphoto compiled. When I try to connect I get no camera found, unless I set the camera to PTP mode, which won't do any controls or capture. I feel like I'm missing something. It shows up on lsusb as "pentax" and is not mounted as a drive. I've got clear sky for the first time this year. HALP!

Update: I messed it up when I tried it on ptp the settings file in .gphoto got updated with
gphoto2=port=usb:001,006
I realize now this was a mistake. It should have usbscsi: /dev/sg0
Now it just says -7 I/0 error yay!
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Ray Wells.
5 years 2 months ago #33328

Replied by Ray Wells on topic Question for Pentax users

• Solved the I/o error. It was related to firmware. We'll need to note that in the tutorial. I had 1.11 and updated to 1.16 which solved the i/o error. Folks can find it at RICOH Japan

• A udev rule to properly assign the port when "pentax" is found might be nice too and might stop the port creep I found after I figured out that first error.
I got some weird results when I set it up in user mode then my one working battery went dead again.(now charging) I've got a supply and batteries on the way which should be here by midweek.
[UPDATE:] New batteries came in and I did get capture to work in user mode, as well as a test 50second bulb shot in the focus module. --so of course snow by the weekend. B)
5 years 2 months ago #33374

Replied by Ray Wells on topic Question for Pentax users

I'd like to see other users camera settings and XML setups too, as well as any tips you might find working with this. I had a hard time getting this going so I'm hoping to do some sort of writeup we can put in documents for using Pentax with indi.
One tip I saw recently involved using the camera in mirrorlockup mode with multishot. I read that as long as your exposures are longer than storage time it will hold it up and keep shooting with an intervalometer, but I haven't tested it, and I'm not sure the driver will handle it correctly as is. Sounds like a neat trick that we might make use of somehow, MLU button perhaps?

***new question*** ---> Has anybody managed to get 80iso to show on the drop downs? This is a special gain setting i've heard great things about from other AP Pentaxians but I noticed it didn't show up in the indidriver.
5 years 2 months ago #33462

• Thank you received: 1
I did manage to find a workaround for my K-70 and the bulb issue. It isn't ideal, but it should let me start to use the dither feature with auto-guiding. I'm not sure if this will work with any of the other Pentax cameras, but if someone can test it would be good to confirm.

The trick to the workaround is to use one of the User settings on the dial and program it to use the bulb setting. The U3 setting is setup for astrophotography by default and is the setting I used, but you will need to turn the noise reduction off as it is set on auto by default. In the user setting you can set your exposures from 10 seconds to 20 minutes. You will then need to set the INDI photo capture setting to match. You will also need to make sure you manually set the camera to the correct ISO as well because INDI does not seem to be able to change it in this mode.

I tested this using the simulated autoguiding, and it did wait to take the next frame while the simulation was dithering. Hopefully I'll have a clear night soon so a real test can be done, but I am hopefull that this will work and I can start to use dithering with my guiding finally.

I hope a software solution to the Pentax K-70 bulb issues gets found, but this will work for me in the meantime.
Derek Dailey

Equipment:
ZWO ASI071MC Pro
ZWO ASI533MC Pro
Pentax K-70
Celestron C6SE
Astro-Tech AT65
William Optics RedCat 51
Celestron AVX mount

Software:
Stellarmate OS
ASTRO PIXEL PROCESSOR
Deep Sky Stacker
Adobe Photoshop & LightRoom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
5 years 2 months ago #33492

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds