INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Selecting dark for focus or alignment.

• Thank you received: 31
I have a QSI 683 camera with inbuilt shutter.
When I select - use dark - for focus and alignment it prompts me whether the camera has a shutter.
It should already have access to this information - so why does it ask?
Also, on the alignment module, after selecting to use a dark, the images displayed are dark - you cannot see the object. Deselecting 'dark' and it works again.
Paul
5 years 3 months ago #32961

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140
First of all, I think you only have to tell ekos once that you have a mechanical shutter, it should then not ask again..
Secondly the viewer will show the last image taken, which will be the dark, that’s why it’s dark...! If you take a light and then an auto dark, it will show two tabs, one with the light frame and another with combined image with dark...
Hope that helps.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 3 months ago #32967

Astronerd,
It is probably true that it only asks once, but why is it necessary to do that when it should already know.
The image displayed in the alignment window is not tabbed so if it displays the dark it should not and it always takes the dark first so should end up with a light showing with the dark subtracted, or so it seems to me.
Paul
5 years 3 months ago #32968

Hmmmm, mine does not take dark first...., it takes light and then dark..with my 8300 camera..
5 years 3 months ago #32971

Astronerd,
I assume it is only taking a single dark, so whether it takes the dark first or second this should only happen once, after which it should not need to take another. I expected it to show the result of the light after subtracting the dark but all I saw was the dark.
Paul
5 years 3 months ago #32972

Ekos does not know. INDI driver does not define whether there is shutter or not. This is only asked once at any rate. I tested yesterday with both Focus & Align modules and the dark frames are working fine and both the focus & alignment completed successfully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
5 years 3 months ago #32992

Jasem,
This is not clear to me, if Ekos knows the camera has a shutter for taking the images then why does it not know it has a shutter when using the same camera to do alignment? Similarly, why does it not know it has a shutter when doing focussing? Am I missing something?
Paul
5 years 3 months ago #32995

Ok I'm a bit confused. Ekos only asks once per camera. If you say it has a shutter, then this information is saved and never asked again. Are you getting this question every time you take a dark frame?
5 years 3 months ago #33042

Jasem,
Yes, it does seem to ask the question only once. That can be an issue if you have answered incorrectly because you made a mistake, which has happened to me. If I rebuild the system from scratch, which I have needed to do a number of times, I get asked again.
Paul
5 years 3 months ago #33048

Well what is the issue then, when you build again you answer correctly and it goes away... simples.. :)
5 years 3 months ago #33049

Astronerd,
Rebuilding again is not something I would choose to do.
My issue is that it has this information when taking images so why does it not have it when focussing or aligning.
The INDI software is very impressive and I have been encouraging others to try it, but the more user friendly it is, the better chance I have in convincing them to try it. Many people do not have the skills or persistance to fix errors so the less likely they are to make them the better.
Paul
5 years 3 months ago #33050

You shouldn't rebuild. I just pushed a change so that when you clear camera configuration in Ekos, it also resets the shutter status for it. Should be in tomorrow's nightly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 3 months ago #33051

Time to create page: 1.202 seconds