INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Questions about Legacy Polar Alignment tool

• Thank you received: 155
I tried your Legacy Polar Alignment tool this week, as I can't see either the polar region from my house.
I started up the alignment tool, synced to a target successfully and then tried the Legacy Alignment tool.
For AZ it wanted to capture the eastern or western horizon. I had a good view of the East, so I slewed there.
The tool did its thing and after two captures and a short slew it solved and displayed my AZ error.
I then pressed the corresponding button to "correct" the error, but there was to target screen for me to use.
Was there an option somewhere that I needed to turn on, or is this a feature in the new alignment tool that does not work with the Legacy system?

Instead, I just adjusted the mount a little at a time, and kept going back to recalculate the error each tine. Slow, but it worked.

Then I tried the ALT option. It did the same, using the Southern Meridian.
However, I noticed quickly that I needed to REVERSE the directions that EKOS gave me to correct the error.
When it said I was too far above the pole, I had to adjust my mount UP. That's backwards.
Unless, I am just now thinking, it was looking at the South Pole. But I do not know why it would do that. I live at 00 degrees 19 minutes North. KStars is correctly configured to my mount's GPS and clearly shows 19 minutes North.

So... 1. Does the Legacy tool have a live-view feature to help guide me to a "target" as its directions informed me of?
2. Even though I live North of the equator (barely), the ALT adjustments were backwards.

Peter
5 years 3 months ago #33681

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The legacy PA tool didn't have the guided feature like the current one unfortunately. Regarding the corrections.. I'll check the code to see how the hemisphere affects this.
5 years 3 months ago #33691

Thanks Jasem. Perhaps you should remove the confusing instructions that direct users using the Legacy Tool to do the corrections with the guided feature? I spent an hour trying to find out how to do it, thinking I was just missing an option or something.
5 years 3 months ago #33693

• Thank you received: 15
It's time to introduce D.A.R.V?
5 years 3 months ago #33751

The Legacy measurements work well, it just would be nice to have a live screen to assist in moving the mount a certain number of degrees. As it is now, I have to guess and then go back and forth to the computer and have it recalculate the error.
5 years 3 months ago #33758

• Thank you received: 15
Hi PK,

Actually I have the same problem with you that can't see the polar region from my location. BTW, now I am stick with PHD2 drift align which it works very well and fast.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Tom.
5 years 3 months ago #33769

Time to create page: 0.608 seconds