INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:Looking for all MAC users of Kstars / Ekos

• Thank you received: 69
I'd love to give it a go although my schedule is such that I wouldn't be able to try imaging for a week or more.
5 years 1 month ago #34492

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Ok you have lost me here. In 2017, i first got gphoto2 working with KStars on the mac and ever since then it has been bundled into the mac version. I know for a fact that it can control every Canon DSLR i have directly connected to it including an XSi, a 60D, an 80D, and a 6D. I also have connected at least 2 Nikon cameras and controlled them with a mac. I tried an olympus once and something did not work right, but i suspect it was not supported by gphoto yet.

There is no tether required, it can directly control taking the exposures over USB. I dont understand why you need another program, is this an older camera?
5 years 1 month ago #34493

If anybody would like to try it out. Here is the build script. Note that it is still a work in progress, there could still be issues. Please let me know if there are problems so I can address them.

github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft
5 years 1 month ago #34494

Was yours maybe a Pentax, based on your user name?
5 years 1 month ago #34495

• Thank you received: 7
Hello Rob, count me in to help verify and test.

Andrew
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
5 years 1 month ago #34496

Ok, I just ran the script and build a DMG. Please test it throughly. You don't need to have good skies to try it out inside ;-). In fact, my recommendation would be to test it throughly INSIDE to find any issues before bringing this out in the field and relying on it. Test it with equipment directly connected to your Mac. Test it with equipment on a Raspberry PI/Stellar Mate. Test it using Simulators. Test it under real skies if you dare (and after making sure there are no issues inside). Oh and please do dare to do so ;-)

Remember that this DMG is built using an entirely new script with new craft recipes. So there are many things that should be tried to make sure that nothing is broken. Note that right now, I'm not working on any KStars or INDI issues myself, just working on KStars on Mac and building issues. If there is a general KStars or INDI issue, you should probably make a new Forum post about it. I think that Eric has been doing quite a bit with the Scheduler and with the Focus algorithms. So if there is an issue with those, please let him know. But if you find an issue with one of the drivers running on Mac, or a display issue, or a qml issue, or a crash on Macs, particularly if that issue doesn't occur on Linux, please tell me about it. That is what I am working on right now.

Note that this build does not contain QHY or SDR drivers. Right now each of those drivers has a serious build issue and so I disabled them from building on Mac for now.

drive.google.com/open?id=1JujfWiY__XSaLppcmFe2LzucUo6tT7df

Thank you,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg, AstroNerd
5 years 1 month ago #34497

Ok so I have now posted both the latest DMG and the build script. Feel free to test both or either if you like. Let me know how it goes everyone!

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
5 years 1 month ago #34498

• Thank you received: 66

Lol, yes I would be talking about controlling a Pentax - double whammy! Mac&Pentax!. I was fallowing GPhoto2 development closely when I discovered Kstars was using it. I updated @msmeissen with the product code for the K-5II and it was added to pktriggercord support. Shortly after the update was included in GPhoto2 and I bought StellarMate and worked with @knro to get the Pentax/K-5II working on StellarMate - about mid 2017. However, I cannot control the Pentax via USB cable (tether) on the Mac. I was led to believe its Pktriggercord that did not work. It has an openBSD driver but but I was told it doesn't work on the Mac.

What would be the issue here? I've tried everything, camera mounted, unmounted, MSC, PTP, nothing works.

Thanks
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Greg.
5 years 1 month ago #34505

Well it is possible that it could be compiled with craft or some other build system on the Mac. I could look into it in the future. For now though, I think the first task is to get the new build system for KStars for Mac working satisfactorily. (As well or better than the old build script). I can look into other things once this is true.
5 years 1 month ago #34506

• Thank you received: 4
Rob

Thanks for the effort, I will test the coming days, I am special happy because the new Flip software is available. So i will do some dry runes .
What is in most case the problems when to port it to other OS. In the previous version i had some stabilities issue but i understood thats something general.
IS It handy to send mac crashes reports or where to dump them or not ;-)

Keep this Topic Posted ;-)

Chris
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Chris Alberts.
5 years 1 month ago #34515

• Thank you received: 66

Thanks! I'll try compiling pktriggercord as well as kstars, and run on my Mac instead of RPi and send some logs in a new post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Archer
5 years 1 month ago #34522

• Thank you received: 5
Hello everyone! First time poster.

I'm very new to astrophotography, been trying to get StellarMate running with my Mac for a couple of weeks now. Ran in to the familiar issues with v3.0 as discussed above, KStars crashing very frequently. Gave 3.1.0 a go yesterday, it seems much more stable. I'm running it using KStars on my Mac with the StellarMate as host.

A BIG issue was discovered though, it looks like my setup has lost the ability to meridian flip - a couple of pics here show where I had to do an emergency stop before the mount crushed my camera against the tripod! This was just testing the slew functions in KStars, it was NOT during any type of imaging test with an actual meridian flip. In both of these cases the RA counterweight bar was about 15degrees above horizontal and rapidly increasing before I stopped it.

Don't know if I've missed a new feature in 3.1.0 which I was meant to enable/disable, but in v2.9.8 and v3.0.0 it seemed to do the appropriate flip during slew and imaging test without intervention.
5 years 1 month ago #34535
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.702 seconds