INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What is the point of Device manager in Kstars

• Thank you received: 226
Sounds good. Perhaps when a remote profile is selected in EKOS, the start button should command the server to start, rather than start the local version of the profile.
Which is another oddity IMHO, why is it necessary to populate drivers locally for a remotely configured profile at all? I found I can leave everything blank, other than the 'mandatory' CCD driver. The remote server just ignores it and connect the remote drivers that are started in advance. Surely a matching a profile name is sufficient to select what profile to start on the web manager server.
Local EKOS with it's limited driver list could probably do away with any local configuration power over the web manager's profiles. There by only supporting configuring from within the web manager with all available drivers and eliminate any confusion.
4 years 3 months ago #46577

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
So you are correct if you are connecting to an already running INDI server on the remote device. If you connect to that running INDI Server, KStars will get the information about the running drivers not whatever ones you select in the profile on the local machine.

But, if you connect using Ekos and tell it to use the INDI Web Manager, you can configure everything from within Ekos. You can set up your profile exactly the way you want to on your local machine, and then when you tell it to start, the Web Manager on the remote machine will update your profile on that remote machine to reflect the profile you selected. If the profile doesn't exist on the remote machine, it will be created. Then the selected and updated profile on the remote machine will be used to start the INDI server.

So it is very important actually. And it is a much simpler way to work with the web Manager.
4 years 3 months ago #46583

Ok. But the problem is not all the drivers are necessarily available on the local system when creating a remote profile.
For the record I was experimenting with KStars on Windows.
4 years 3 months ago #46584

Currently KStars does not load profiles from a remote Web Manager server. Implementing this shouldn't be too difficult, but it just needs time.

Right now, if you create a remote profile and no local version is available, this is where the drivers in indidrivers.xml are used. This was proposed by Robert a couple of years ago and appears to be working well for most people. If it is not there, you can simply put the device label as well.

Device manager is no longer used, but is kept for testing purposes for when you need to connect to INDI without Ekos.
4 years 3 months ago #46654

I just tried out a couple things and have found a reasonable work around for creating a profile with a non-local INDI driver that does not require the remote server to be run in advance.
It turns out manually filling in the name of the driver will do the trick, even if the local machine is not able to list it.

Incidentally I also attempted to describe a remote driver with driver1@remotehost:port first, but it was not effective.
4 years 3 months ago #46844

Was driver1@remotehost:port running already?
4 years 3 months ago #46852

• Thank you received: 72
Hi Jasem

This is an interesting discussion and gives some insights into the coding of KStars and INDI.

BUT: I still don't understand, why the device manager keeps listing a wrong version number! (KStars and INDIlib on localhost!)
I tried to debug KStars and could trace down the calls in "drivermanager.cpp".

The "debug-version" of KStars (Debugging in QT Creator) reads the correct version from "indidrivers.xml". But the very same binary (produced by QT Creator debugger) started by hand does always return the driver version I got debugging in QT Creator, in spite of a handmade change in "indidrivers.xml". This change will be reflected, ONLY if I start a new debugger in QT Creator. From this time on - starting kstars directly from command line - brings always the version number read before in QT Creator.

New information (25.12.19) for Jasem and Kaczorek:

I found a notice from Kaczorek (www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/2137-device-n...le-editor.html#16059), that states exactly what i'm referring to! The contribution dates two years ago and apparently nothing has changed!
This strange behaviour is not crucial, but bothersome. Especially when you want to check against a correct driver version. Unfortunately Kaczorek didn't follow the case, so we are none the wiser. There is definitively some caching of "indidrivers.xml", but by now I cannot spot where. I hope, we can track down it!

Sincerely
Antonio
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Toni Schriber. Reason: New insights
4 years 3 months ago #46878

Driver1@remotehost:port was not running
I told it to run with attention to spaces and case sensitivity:
Adafruit Motor HAT@HostIP:hostport
On the remote host, where that custom driver resides, the web manager app stated the server and listed it by the given name as running along with the other standard drivers. But the local host did not bring it up in the indi control panel.

Now I recognize this is already well off topic, I think I should I create a new thread.
4 years 3 months ago #46890

• Thank you received: 72
Hi all

Perhaps there are other persons interested in this case of the "Device manager". I was able to trace down the strange behaviour of this manager when listing the version numbers!
See here: www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/2137-device-n...le-editor.html#47272

Greetings
Antonio
4 years 3 months ago #47273

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds