INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron Motorised Focuser - Is it supported in EKOS yet

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks, Chris. Is 500 just an arbitrary number? Or in the ballpark of what you've been seeing? Just don't want to start my experiment in a completely wrong direction..
3 years 11 months ago #52552

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Actually, I think that was a stupid question. Half a turn sounds pretty huge.
3 years 11 months ago #52553

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Boris,

I can get the calibration done by connecting the focuser direct to the laptop via usb and the celestron software. I was wondering if I could get the calibration done by Ekos.

Mark
3 years 11 months ago #52583

• Thank you received: 138
Yes, using the Celestron SCT focuser driver. Connect the focuser using a USB cable and run the driver. There's a calibrate option somewhere.
3 years 11 months ago #52640

Hi Chris,

And that doesn’t work because the min/max values are 0.

Cheers
3 years 11 months ago #52646

I guess I'm a bit late, sorry ...

Anyway, as others have pointed out, I use the celestron_sct drivers, which means connecting a usb cable from the focuser directly to the PC, not through the handcontroller. When doing that, I get this INDI configuration window (in any INDI client program, like ccdciel, indistarter, ekos, etc...)

There's a button "Start Calibration" to activate the whole process. The button is still there in the latest INDI version (1.8.4), although I have't clicked it recently, since my focuser is still calibrated. But back when I did, I remember it solved my min-max limits being 0.

Kind regards,
James
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by James Bates.
3 years 11 months ago #52783
Attachments:

Hi James,

No worries, weather is cloudy the coming week. So if I understand it correctly you have to calibrate the focuser via usb direct to the pc first and then connect it to a stellarmate. Then if you open Ekos the calibration can be done but you don’t have to because it has been calibrated beforehand. I asked the question because I got the idea that you could calibrate the focuser via stellarmate and Ekos directly.
Or am I mistaken in my assumptions?

Cheers,

Mark
3 years 11 months ago #52846

• Thank you received: 10
the latest Celestron focus driver on stellarmate and ekos 3.4.3 on Mac crashes at the end of the calibration step, but it does work and does seem to achieve calibration despite the crash.
3 years 10 months ago #54366

I was able to get my Celestron focuser working on a Raspberry Pi 4 with Astroberry by setting up the focuser in Ekos. Everything went well, and Ekos seems to run the focuser just fine. It did crash at the end of calibration but once I restarted it worked just fine. I also have a Losmandy G11 and a ZWO camera and guider with filter wheel, and everything got along ok.

So how can I operate the focuser when I am using the telescope purely visually. Every time I change eyepieces I'll need to re focus, so I'd like to have my eye in the eyepiece but my keyboard and monitor are at a desk. Does anyone know of an INDI client that can run on my iPhone so I can focus at the telescope? Is this something iINDI can do?

Thanks in advance.
Hans
3 years 9 months ago #55546

• Thank you received: 15
Hi Hans,

I use a XBox 360 controller as a joystick to focus. The SCT focuser driver has joystick support. And to slew, to set slew speed, to park, to unpark, to abort motion („panic button“), as the EQMOD mount driver has joystick support as well. Great when observing visually. The XBox 360 USB receiver works perfectly on the RPi 4.

CS, Bernd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 9 months ago #55574

Yes, I use iINDI on my iPhone, exactly as you describe.
3 years 9 months ago #55765

Never realized that, I'll try it!
3 years 9 months ago #55766

Time to create page: 1.517 seconds