INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Offline Plate solve not working

• Thank you received: 5
I can not get offline plate solving to work any longer. I had it working great in the past but it now longer works for me. Neither does polar alignment. I am using KSTARS 3.0.0 for OSX. Hopefully I have done something simple to the settings and I can get back up and running. This is a simulated profile that I am testing indoors, but the failure looks the same to me based on the alignment module tab.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_13-18-53copy.txt
File Size:28 KB
Here is the log file
5 years 2 months ago #34041
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are you using load & slew with this? I see the file name as califneb12:6:18.fits? Maybe the colons ":" in the filename are causing issues. Just a guess at this point.
5 years 2 months ago #34055

Yes, I am using load and slew. Same as I always did in the past. Plate solve seemed to work great in 2.9.8 and I can not recall if other similarly named files were used. I will try and change the name and see if it that makes a difference. Thanks!
5 years 2 months ago #34061

I tried different files with more a standard naming convention and nothing seems to work. This is very disappointing.

Perhaps I have some of the settings wrong for the camera and the scope?
5 years 2 months ago #34613

• Thank you received: 420
The offline solver uses the configuration file "/Applications/kstars 3.0.0.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg". Are you sure the "add_path" option is pointing to the correct directory with the astrometry index FITS files?

HTH, Wouter
5 years 2 months ago #34616

Yep I have the astrometry.cfg file in the correct location. The index files are correctly pointed to in that tab. Where would I find the "add_path" option?
5 years 2 months ago #34617

"add_path" is part of the astrometry.cfg file. But if the index files show up in the tab then the setting is correct. It was worth a try.

The log file you posted doesn't show debug log lines for plate solving. Please enable debug logging for plate solving (see Jasem's signature), try again and post the logs here.
5 years 2 months ago #34620

What other options should I check off? Here is a screen shot of the Logging tab:

Here is a screen shot of the EKOS interface during this test:

Here is the log file:

File Attachment:

File Name: log_07-00-18.txt
File Size:28 KB
5 years 2 months ago #34636
Attachments:

Nope, that should be all. I see you have the --resort option checked. In the Alignment tab (bottom picture) click the Options tab (to the lower right just above your mouse cursor) and select the Solver Options tab. Then disable the --resort option and see if that helps.

If not, simply copy the command line (third line from above in the output of the solver in the bottom image. It starts with /Applications/kstars 3.0.0.app) and paste it in a terminal and hit enter. You may need to put \ characters in front of all spaces between "kstars" and "3.0.0" in two places in the command (the solve-field and astrometry.cfg parts) and see what happens.

Come to think of it, perhaps the fact that the application is in "/Applications/kstars 3.0.0.app" (with a space in the name) may be the problem. Can you try to move it to "/Applications/kstars_3.0.0.app" (i.e. replace the space character with an underscore) and see if that helps?

HTH, Wouter
5 years 2 months ago #34640
Attachments:

You are a genius! Originally I renamed the Application in the folder to differentiate from Kstars 2.9.8 while I was migrating to the newer version. After adding the underscore in the app name it seems to be working. I just did a sim test of a file and went through the process as if it was working.

Thank you so much and I hope to test it out tonight under the real stars.

Best!
5 years 2 months ago #34643

Great, I am glad that's sorted out :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ez W
5 years 2 months ago #34645

I just wanted to follow-up on this item. I have been able to test it out under the stars tonight and everything is working perfect. 20-30 secs from roughly Park 3 to plate solved! I love this feature! Now I just need to get a rotator.
5 years 2 months ago #34889

Time to create page: 0.857 seconds