INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to connect Mac OSX to an INDI Server running on an Ubuntu box.

• Thank you received: 155
Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for connecting my MacBook to small Ubuntu box that is attached to my equipment?
Do I need to install and use Indi Web Manager, or is there a simpler way?
I just want to be able to run Stars/EKOS on my MacBook Air, using the OSX version of the software, but all my equipment and mount controlled by my NanoPC T4 running Ubuntu 16.04.

Right now, I have Kstars installed on the NanoPC and it works fine, and I have been connecting to it via VNC through wifi.
But I'd like to use the OSX version of Kstars on the MacBook and not use VNC, as it's just a bit too slow for my liking.

I installed Indi Web Manager, but when I run it, I get this:

2019-01-26 02:01:10,877 - WARNING: terminating indiserver failed code 1
Bottle v0.12.16 server starting up (using WSGIRefServer())...
Listening on http://0.0.0.0:8624/

Obviously I am not a linux programmer, so any basic help would be appreciated.
5 years 2 months ago #34102

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140
Hi,
Wouldn’t you just set it up as you would a remote rpi...with indiserver running on the nano PC and ekos on your Mac connecting to it via its address or IP address, put the nano PC IP address in the ekos profile and connect that way....or am I missing something.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
5 years 2 months ago #34105

• Thank you received: 140
You would need indi web manager on the nano, and the “auto start web manager” checked in ekos profile..
The set up would be the same as using an rpi, can’t see whay it would be different, I use mine this way all the time..
5 years 2 months ago #34106

• Thank you received: 812
I would definitely set up the INDI web manager, because then all you have to do is start up your Mac and your Linux machine and on the Mac you can tell it to start the INDI server and manage the profiles from there. You don't actually have to use the INDI Web Manager to start and stop it, KStars on the client can do that. My AstroPi3 script could be used to configure the Linux Machine and get it all set up if you like, but it does have some things in it that would be specific to a raspberry pi. You can just comment out the things you don't want.
5 years 2 months ago #34109

• Thank you received: 20
Are you using mains power for your Mac? One advantage to remote-desktop-ing in to a low-power PC, vs. exploiting INDI's remote-client setup, is that your photography can last as long as your Ubuntu box has power. If you're running KStars/Ekos in the field from a MacBook, say, then when the laptop's battery goes, so does your session. If you're using VNC or some such, your Mac only has to last long enough to get things started and peek in once in awhile. Not as elegant technically, but IMHO more robust in practice.

BTW the Apple Screen Sharing app works fine too.
5 years 2 months ago #34110

I typically run my raspberry pi and imaging setup off a 100 amp hour battery. I have a separate battery for my mac, but it also has decent battery life to start with. But i have never really had to test that theory yet because just about everywhere i have been observing, i have been able to connect my laptop somewhere on site to ac power and connect wirelessly to the pi/scope.
5 years 2 months ago #34112

Absolutely! When I am out in the field, far from commercial power (which is basically everywhere in Uganda, where 94% of the country has none), then I use Kstars/Ekos on the NanoPC and it works fine. But here at my house, I get to image from my roof, and I just wanted to try running KStars directly off the MacBook - which is so much faster than going through VNC. And yes, I use Apple's screen sharing ap that comes with OSX. The "Chicken of the VNC" ap has much faster screen updates, but messes up when you try to zoom and out.
5 years 2 months ago #34113

No, you're not missing anything. I was missing coffee at 2:30am last night. I realized today that I was using the wrong IP address in EKOS on the Mac, which is why it couldn't find Indi Web Manager. Today, after some strong Ugandan coffee - it's running perfectly!
Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Peter Kennett.
5 years 2 months ago #34115

Problem solved! I just needed more coffee at 2:30am. I had the wrong IP address! System working perfectly now!
5 years 2 months ago #34116

It’s a nice clear tonight tonight so I’m up on the roof and all is working perfectly. I’m capturing the Seagull Nebuka in NB. The MacBook is connected and running the show without a flaw, and the NanoPC is saving the 32mb files on it’s internal 480gb SSD, which is virtually instantaneous. Much better than having the files download to the Mac.

I wish the Ubuntu version of EKOS was as stable on the NanoPC as the OSC version is on my MacBook Air. But all month I have been struggling with frequent crashes that are new, and I haven’t seen a pattern to hint at why. Additionally on the NanoPC my ASI1600 would occasionally lock up when running EKOS on it. So far tonight, not a single problem even though the camera is still connected to the same Ubuntu box and running under the same version of INDI. So the issue was with EKOS not INDI or the PC.
5 years 2 months ago #34135

5 years 2 months ago #34136

• Thank you received: 19
Sorry guys, i have to hang in at this point here, because that does NOT work for me.

Let me recap. You say i only have to start my linux machine. Do nothing there. And then i start KStars on my mac and go to indi webmanager and connect? The only thing i get then is "this website is not reachable"...

If i start the indiserver via "indi-web" command on the linux machine, it works.

So it seems I am missing something here, or not?

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 2 months ago #34293

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds