INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help with INDI FAQ

I really believe we ought to have a more comperhensive FAQ than the one we have in the website. Being the developer, I can't think of many questions because everything is straight forward for me (doh!), but I'd appreciate any questions/answers you can come up with to help new users, then I'll incorporate it into the official site FAQ. The documentation does cover a great deal of info, but it would be helpful as well to break it down into common questions.
9 years 6 months ago #2069

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by Chris Ryan on topic Help with INDI FAQ

I'll keep this in mind as I'm doing things, but of course right this instant I can't think of much.

Maybe a section that includes the details of how to build the code with the debugging information included. how to run the system using the debugger and how to provide meaningful stacktraces for bug reports?
9 years 6 months ago #2076

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Miguel on topic Help with INDI FAQ

Maybe even a wiki page that anyone (ok, maybe only registered users) can edit ?

For larger projects they work quite well. ArchLinux has a very detailed one for instance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Seckler
9 years 6 months ago #2077

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Help with INDI FAQ

Hi
I would like to ask you if an "Off-Topic" section would be useful in the forum. I have a question about image stacking. Since Indilib is more linux directed maybe someone can give me a tip how to stack images under linux. There is a bunch of software under windows but I was not able to find any software that can do this and runs natively under linux? I am a bit tired of using emulation solutions using wine & virtual machines.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 5 months ago #2103

If there was to be an Off-Topic section, it might be better to keep it small and list some places where to find help in other areas like this, e.g. helpful forums and sites.

To answer your question: I got PixInsight to do my processing now - it works under Linux/FreeBSD, Windows and Mac. Linux is not an afterthought but a primary target for the application. Anyway, it's basically the "photoshop of astrophotography processing" and can do just about anything you need and beyond. It's costs a bit, but I think it's been well worth it in my short time using it. I was doing my processing under Windows, but now just about all of it is done (and better) with PixInsight under Linux.

pixinsight.com/ You can get a full featured version to trial if you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
9 years 5 months ago #2104

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Help with INDI FAQ

ok thats too much for my beginner purporses I will try it. I now try to get THELI installed which is free but complex to setup. Thank you so far.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 5 months ago #2105

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Help with INDI FAQ

I second that. After PixInsight, I never looked back. With it, all my astrophotography is 100% under Linux.

Back to the original topic. A Wiki is a nice idea, but for the current time I'd like to form some questions. Such as:

1. Ekos fails to solve my image, what's wrong?
2. How do I set my telescope settings?
3. ....?
9 years 5 months ago #2108

Maybe some stuff around these topics:

* Local vs Remote INDI in ekos - what to use and why. Plus some examples?
* Display filters in focusing and the guiding panels - how to use them, and when not to, etc?
* How to handle using multiple SBig devices in ekos/indi (port selection, connecting them, etc)? (I'm unsure if this affects any other manufacturers, but when I need to use the ST-8XE and the ST-i together I have to connect them in a particular order to get the "right" port assignments).
* Display of colour FITS files from colour cameras (this doesn't happen right now, right?)
* How to report problems. How to make suggestions.
9 years 5 months ago #2109

• Thank you received: 95

Replied by Oleg on topic Help with INDI FAQ

I am the THELI GUI user and tester.
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
7 years 10 months ago #8873

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds