INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Wrong geometry of FITS files captured in EKOS

• Thank you received: 2
Also with the ASI294MC Pro sometimes a few bits missing. Although not 10% but more like 1% or less.
@herrhausen: i tkink also mine first image in the row.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Joshua R.
5 years 2 months ago #34410

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
Thanks, fusis,

I saw your thread, but that does not match my experience. From what I am reading, this concerns EVERY frame in your case and the problem is a different one.

In my case, only about 10% of the frames are affected and it happens randomly. Also, I can view those frames just fine, in DSS or in PixInsight, the problem only comes up when I try to stack them together with the 90% of the other frames that have 3520 pixels in the y-axis, not 3516.

It looks to me that that is a different problem, i.e. like the data transfer stream gets truncated and the last 4 "lines" are missing.

As I said, that happens randomly, but consistently. I am effectively losing 10% of my images every time.
5 years 2 months ago #34411

Reply to Herrhausen:

Ah, "good", you are seeing the same problem.

I agree, it is USUALLY the first frame, but not always. But then it happens again randomly throughout the capture sequence.

I have not been able to find a pattern to it.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Jose Corazon.
5 years 2 months ago #34413

• Thank you received: 161
It might well be since I did not care to investigate the problem. I'll have to shoot a couple more sets in order to find out whether it's random. In Fusis case it doesn't happen to all light frames either.
5 years 2 months ago #34414

I remember you use the scheduler and once in a while report problems. Are you sure these other (non-first) faulty light frames have not been the first ones after re-starting a session?
5 years 2 months ago #34415

I think I solved the other problem I had where the image sequence would not start when using the scheduler after previously having manually run the same sequence. That may a problem with the aborted sequence still stuck in memory that does not allow it to be restarted from within the scheduler. I don't think that has anything to do with the 4 pixels missing.
One the sequence starts, exposures work fine and flawlessly within the scheduler. And the missing pixel problem also occurs in the middle of an otherwise smoothly running sequence. So I don't see a pattern that could connect these things.

Also, I don't get any of these warnings fusis gets when I open that frame by itself in PixInsight:

** Warning: The FITS format does not define an unambiguous orientation of pixel data. The coordinates read on the image may be wrong.

or that one:

*** Error: Incompatible image geometry

Do you get that warning?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Jose Corazon.
5 years 2 months ago #34417

Actually, you are right, Alfred!

It IS the same problem.

See attached screen shots.

5 years 2 months ago #34418
Attachments:

I don't use Pixinsight but Regim aborted with an error message, too.

With Astrosnoesky it's 5 users now reporting missing pixels, all 5 using ASI cams (294,071,1600).
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 2 months ago #34422

PixInsight did not abort, as the screehots show, it merely issued a warning.

I have never tried stacking my FITS files in PI, though, I am still using DSS for that.
5 years 2 months ago #34423

I was able to take 30+ frames with ZWO ASI178MC-Cool without any issues with frame dimensions. I opened them PixInsight also without problems. The only warning I received is "Warning: Deprecated Format: FITS". However, I ran into an issue when trying to debayer the image. It gave an error "Missing or invalid CFA description property". The header has BAYERPAT set to RGGB so I'm not sure what the issue is with PixInsight regarding this.
5 years 2 months ago #34424

• Thank you received: 9
Corazon

There is a way to salvage those frames with 4 pixels chopped off. I have experienced this problem recently with my asi071 camera. I've found a simple work around to this is to crop all images to match the smaller image size using DynamicCrop and image containers in pixinsight. Its a quick way to batch crop all your images to the correct size so they will stack. You have to do your flats, bias, and darks also this way for it to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 2 months ago #34425

Same here, Jasem. Tested locally USB2, locally USB3, remote USB2, remote USB3, lights, darks, flats. No faulty images.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 2 months ago #34430

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds