INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stupid KStars/Ekos question #45730: Can I see the images during solve/slew?

• Thank you received: 20
Hey all,

If there were any stars visible I'd just set up my scope and find out myself, but as my friend says, it's like a Cecil B. DeMille movie around here: Over-cast.

Heh. He cracks himself up.

Anyway, I have used the "Capture and Solve" button on the Ekos Alignment tab to good effect. But it's often somewhat mysterious, in that it'll shoot, solve, declare that the solution is not within parameters, and just keep doing that. Sometimes I'll interrupt it and find the target is certainly centered well enough for my purposes...other times, not so much.

I'd like to keep track of how the process is proceeding. One way would be to close the Ekos window or move it out of the way and watch where KStars thinks my mount is pointing in the planetarium view, but that's hard with the Raspberry Pi's limited screen real estate. Viewing the captured image on which the solver is chewing would be a big plus.

Does the image which is captured for plate-solving get displayed anywhere -- say, on the Setup tab? You'd think it would be on the Alignment tab but that has not been my experience.

Thanks!
5 years 1 month ago #34551

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The image is displayed in the alignment module... you don't see the image?
5 years 1 month ago #34560

Well, I was pretty sure that I wasn't seeing it -- it has been a couple of weeks since I tried, though, so maybe my brain was just frozen. (See, I warned you it was a stupid question.)

Or perhaps the image was there, but just didn't have enough exposure to generate human pattern recognition. OK, new question: if that's the case, is it possible to find the latest frame and open it with FITS Viewer so I can apply autostretch to it? I suppose I could also just make the exposure much longer too.
5 years 1 month ago #34589

• Thank you received: 809
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 1 month ago #34592
Attachments:

Well, if THAT doesn't help I'm evidently pretty much beyond all help. Thanks. <shuffles off, blushing furiously>
5 years 1 month ago #34594

Well honestly I think we need more diagrams like that explaining how to use the software.
5 years 1 month ago #34608

I absolutely concur Rob! What software did you use? We need to annotate all the modules like this, though because there are so many things, it might get crowded.. or maybe have different images for different workflows? for example:

1. To solve an image: ...
2. To load & slew: ...

..etc?
5 years 1 month ago #34610

No special software, just OS X. I took a screenshot and then immediately annotated it using the built in tools. Mojave now has the annotation tools built into the screenshot taking mechanism on OS X, so that you can annotate it before you save it, whereas before you had to open the screenshot that was taken in the program preview and then click the A button on the toolbar.
5 years 1 month ago #34625

5 years 1 month ago #34647

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds