INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How you guys use it in the field?

• Thank you received: 86
Hello,
KStars/Ekos is so mouse oriented... All controls are so tiny.
I find it next to impossible to operate on a touchscreen tablet (and I have a small 7" Nexus 2013) which is connected to an RPI via VNC.
A laptop is much easier to operate but the battery life is an issue.
How you guys operate KStars/Ekos while away from power outlets?
Please share - thanks!

(I wish there was a tablet friendly version similar to Ekos Live)
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 1 month ago #34959

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
I run a portable all-in-pi setup I take to dark sky sites away from home and AC power, battery power only. To control it, I have been using a tablet, stylus and a wireless keyboard with trackpad like the Logitech K400 Plus. I try to make good use of keyboard shortcuts, many of which I've customized and labled on my keyboard. Away from the mount I use VNC on my phone to monitor things over WiFi with a more powerful WiFi USB adapter on the Pi for better range.
However I am going to move away from the tablet soon since I no longer rely on the tablet touch screen thanks to the keyboard. Instead I am switching to this portable 1080p display . It can accept non-standard resolutions, and is low power with a nice image, and you may find it on amazon or elsewhere.

All in all everything works well, consumes little power, and doesn't mind the cold. So I have no immediate plans to use a power hungry laptop.
5 years 1 month ago #34993

• Thank you received: 27
I run everything on Pi and connect to it over Vnc and Wifi from a laptop. Once session is started, I monitor it with tablet or phone. I also run Kstars on laptop itself and connect to indi remotely in case if I need to do platesolving because platesolving is much faster on laptop.
5 years 1 month ago #34998

Hi,
I am no that familiar with Linux. How do you set keyboard shortcuts there?
As to the 1080P monitor - it looks nice but it limits your distance to the mount/rpi to the length of the HDMI cable, right?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 1 month ago #35000

Yeah.. I have a feeling that a laptop might be needed after all. Otherwise it's too cumbersome to operate.
How do you power the laptop for a prolonged time?
I guess, 3-4-5 hours wouldn't be a problem. But what if I need longer? 2-3 nights?
Currently,
I have a 6000 mAh / 12V battery which powers a CCD cooler and a USB hub which is connected to and also powers the RPI - this lasts for a long time.
Another 3500 mAh / 12V battery powers the mount - also lasts for a long time.
Another 3500 mAh / 12V battery powers the dew heater - this one lasts maybe 6-8 hours (that's OK - I don't need it ON all the time).
Laptop... Got some random laptop. It's small - the battery will not last for more than 5-6 hours I think. It's 19.5V.
I guess, I need yet another powerbank for the laptop and I will be all set up for 2-3 nights of shooting.
Right?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by maxthebuilder.
5 years 1 month ago #35001

Shortcuts are configured within kstars under the Settings menu.
As for range, it's not much of a concern since I still have the option to switch to remote desktop from a distance over VNC on my phone or 'No Machine' on my tablet. I usually have a table setup within 25 feet to work from.
Also, with my tablet I became accustomed to creating a USB tethered network to the raspberry pi. That way has lower latency than WiFi for the remote desktop and shared my mobile internet with the Pi if I want it online.
This HDMI display has no latency and a better picture at a higher resolution.
I assembled this setup over time starting with strictly phone based interface. Perhaps I would do something different if I were to start from scratch. I do like how little power this requires compared to a laptop. And laptops fail at the very temperatures I am often working in.
Picture also includes a small keypad I can use, but I don't use it much anymore.
5 years 1 month ago #35032
Attachments:

Interesting.. I should try that screen! I was planning to add USB WiFi later .
When you VNC to rpi, KStars shortcuts work, I presume?
Could you share the list of shortcuts you use the most, please?
Also how do you connect the keyboard to the tablet - OTG cable?

Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by maxthebuilder.
5 years 1 month ago #35041

maxthebuilder: To answer your questions, Yes shortcuts should work in VNC, but are probably not practical with mobiles.
My most used shortcuts include: Find, EKOS, INDI, Center view on scope position, Toggle DSS overlay On/OFF, Park, Unpark, Slew to focused, Slew to Pointer, Sync on focused, and Abort. Many of these are bound to my media keys, but the critical ones that may inadvertently cause mayhem also require either CTRL+ or Alt+. I wouldn't want to accidentally park it! I'll attach my exported shortcut file, you may import it if you like them.
My keyboard to connected to the Pi, not the tablet via a USB extension to my workstation and secondary hub. Although I may be testing the range if I eliminate the tablet and the need to extend USB to the table.
I do not claim this is the best setup, there are a number of reasons all these peripherals may not be not optimal for you. But it works for me and my portable kit. So I hope this proves insightful.

Andrew.

PS. Pro-tip, label your shortcuts as reminders. All too often I forgot to use them.
5 years 1 month ago #35062
Attachments:

Andrew -
Thank you very much for sharing your shortcuts! And suggestions/ideas.
Much appreciated!
I am so not used to connecting monitor/keyboard directly to the RPI. Gotta try this.
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 1 month ago #35076

maxthebuilder : FYI If you decide to get that display, it does not come with a power adapter. Good news is it takes 12V, and will even work with a USB to 12V adapter because it draws so little power. I also tested that keyboard's range and found it is surprisingly good. Tested at 25' distance through 2 walls was no problem. And at 35' through 3 walls was just beginning to interfere with the mouse, but keys were fine.
5 years 1 month ago #35180

Andrew -
I have enough power banks/adapters...
Do you know how much power does the monitor draws?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 1 month ago #35198

My power monitor on my battery indicates 0.3A at 12.22V, or 3.765 Watt difference when I don't power the display.
5 years 1 month ago #35200

Time to create page: 1.192 seconds