INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How you guys use it in the field?

• Thank you received: 226
maxthebuilder: To answer your questions, Yes shortcuts should work in VNC, but are probably not practical with mobiles.
My most used shortcuts include: Find, EKOS, INDI, Center view on scope position, Toggle DSS overlay On/OFF, Park, Unpark, Slew to focused, Slew to Pointer, Sync on focused, and Abort. Many of these are bound to my media keys, but the critical ones that may inadvertently cause mayhem also require either CTRL+ or Alt+. I wouldn't want to accidentally park it! I'll attach my exported shortcut file, you may import it if you like them.
My keyboard to connected to the Pi, not the tablet via a USB extension to my workstation and secondary hub. Although I may be testing the range if I eliminate the tablet and the need to extend USB to the table.
I do not claim this is the best setup, there are a number of reasons all these peripherals may not be not optimal for you. But it works for me and my portable kit. So I hope this proves insightful.

Andrew.

PS. Pro-tip, label your shortcuts as reminders. All too often I forgot to use them.
5 years 2 months ago #35062
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
Andrew -
Thank you very much for sharing your shortcuts! And suggestions/ideas.
Much appreciated!
I am so not used to connecting monitor/keyboard directly to the RPI. Gotta try this.
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
5 years 2 months ago #35076

maxthebuilder : FYI If you decide to get that display, it does not come with a power adapter. Good news is it takes 12V, and will even work with a USB to 12V adapter because it draws so little power. I also tested that keyboard's range and found it is surprisingly good. Tested at 25' distance through 2 walls was no problem. And at 35' through 3 walls was just beginning to interfere with the mouse, but keys were fine.
5 years 2 months ago #35180

Andrew -
I have enough power banks/adapters...
Do you know how much power does the monitor draws?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
5 years 2 months ago #35198

My power monitor on my battery indicates 0.3A at 12.22V, or 3.765 Watt difference when I don't power the display.
5 years 2 months ago #35200

• Thank you received: 20
Heh. You should try running it from a phone!

[No. No, you shouldn't. You seem like a nice person and it would be a shame for you to go insane.]

I have found that for the initial setup, a laptop is really nice, especially the keyboard. But it's perfectly possible to run it from, say, an iPad without too much ensuing raving and gibbering. :-) I often start out by connecting to my Pi with my laptop, configuring everything that I need to do much typing for, and then, as the laptop's battery ebbs, closing it and checking in via the iPad from time to time once things are running in automated fashion. If I had a Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad I could probably even do without the laptop, but since I have both devices, I just use them.
5 years 2 months ago #35202

I started off using only a phone. It. Was. Infuriating. So much wasted time to accomplish simple tasks. But it's perfectly fine for monitoring and doing simple things. Tablet it perfectly workable, but onscreen keyboard leaves much to be desired when it covers half the screen. Bluetooth keyboard was a game changer, now I'm relying less on the tablet, and going to that display.
Laptop is a good all included solution, but it's a power hog and suffers in my climate. I rarely have access to AC power too.
5 years 2 months ago #35204

I also started by using just a phone. Yes, it was doable but very frustrating.
Today I tried to simulate the "in the field' situation. All running on the RPI. VNC to RPI from a tablet. No keyboard/mouse - just the touch screen.
It was difficult but I managed to get everything running.
Did the polar alignment, mount alignment, slew to the target, set-up the auto-guiding.
Unfortunately, when I started to shoot the actual sequence, KStars crashed after the first frame (on FITS preview) .
Latest nightly build.
Never happened to me before but I didn't use it directly on RPI for more than two months (was working perfectly back than) - was using a Windows client.
So, I switched to the Windows client (the larger screen and the mouse!). There I also had some problems - also a recent nightly build - CCDs would become unresponsive (several times) and I would have to restart KStars.
In the end I got about 60 shots... Successful but troublesome session.
Tomorrow is supposed to be another clear night - I'll try again.
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by maxthebuilder.
5 years 1 month ago #35345

Have you guys trid EkosLive? It's free and meant for Tablets/Phones. It's a lot simpler of course, but it gots most tasks done. Only cavet now is it it require online connection. But we have an offline version in the works to be released soon.
5 years 1 month ago #35346

EkosLive is great! But is of no use without internet connection as you mentioned.
Can't wait for the off-line version - thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
5 years 1 month ago #35359

Got that monitor/display (different brand). It's actually pretty good especially after I got a thin/longer HDMI cable. Monitor/keyboard/mouse connected directly to RPI seems like a good "in the field" solution.
Also changing the default Stellarmate screen resolution of 1152x864 to 1920x1080 helped a lot.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
5 years 1 month ago #36071

IHOUJIN/All,
Just had a freaky experience involving that 10" RPI monitor (which I like very much).

Yesterday it was clear for the first time in many weeks. So I gave my setup a try. With this nice monitor, keyboard, mouse and a new portable table.
Everything worked fine!
Today. Same everything. But nothing worked. The mount forgot its wifi settings and I couldn't get them set. Stellarmate hotspot disappeared.
Spent a couple of hours troubleshooting.
Got it!
The only difference was - I put the monitor not on the table but attached it to the tripod leg (too close to wifi sources I suppose).
The monitor interferes with wifi and basically kills it if put too close to wifi sources. Moved the monitor further away - all is well!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by maxthebuilder.
5 years 1 month ago #36441

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds