INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nikon DSLR conflict

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I can confirm the same behavior with the latest Stellarmate (1.4.6) and also with my own MATE based stack which I compiled about a month and a half ago using github versions of INDI but mostly bionic sources for other libraries. It ignores the capture format setting and leaves the camera to FINE after you have unplugged it. Preview and saved image comes as JPEG unless you chose FITS.

In fact FITS doesn't exactly work fine either. It has 8 bits per channel.

Clearly something with that model.

ASIAIR works correctly though and I believe it too has INDI under the hood. However, ASIAIR does not touch the format at all. I know this because it will stick with whatever I have chosen on the camera. So perhaps it is just the "set format" operation that is flawed and a possible workaround would be to disable it completely and just use what the camera has? I will try to see if that is feasible.
4 years 2 months ago #48200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Nikon DSLR conflict

Hello Dimitris & welcome to INDI forum.

So I took a look again at the driver code and found this tidbit in gphoto_driver.cpp:1058
// Set Format Settings
    if (gphoto->format >= 0)
        gphoto_set_widget_num(gphoto, gphoto->format_widget, gphoto->format);

So it could be here that this is failing for some Nikon models? Can some comment out this code block and compile again? If it was indeed proven to be the culprit, we can figure out a way to add an exception for the affected Nikon models.
4 years 2 months ago #48289

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Steve Crossman on topic Nikon DSLR conflict

Jasem, this is the same issue I reported to you about 2 months ago with the D7500 where it would switch to JPG fine, which prompted you to get the D3400 for testing.

I found that using NEF + JPEG normal in the camera would enable it to save as NEF. Selecting just NEF would result in it switching back to just JPG fine being saved to the SD card in the camera.

The setting in the INDI control panel would reflect very odd characters.

4 years 2 months ago #48309
Attachments:

What's the VID:PID of D7500? I think I found the issue in libgphoto2 and working on a fix.
4 years 2 months ago #48381

Where do I find this information?
4 years 2 months ago #48385

• Thank you received: 420
On Linux: plug it in, open a terminal and type lsusb
On Mac: click the Apple to the top left -> About This Mac -> System Report -> USB
4 years 2 months ago #48389

4 years 2 months ago #48391
Attachments:

Thanks, I've pushed a possible fix for this to my own libghoto2 fork here: github.com/knro/libgphoto2

So this requires some knowledge in compiling as this must be compiled and installed first, then indi-gphoto is compiled afterwards and tested. If there is Teamviewer, I can do this remotely.
4 years 2 months ago #48394

Thanks Jasem... I am good on this for now as it's creating the RAW file on my D7500 and working in RPi3 with the settings above. I don't want to change any of that as it's my only working setup right now.

If this is for RPi4, it's not going to be of much use until the plate solving crash/dysfunction is fixed in 1.4.6 with the ASI120mm mini camera that stops functioning.
4 years 2 months ago #48403

Hi,

It says

Bus 001 Device 010: ID 04b0:0440 Nikon Corp.

(edit: just saw the conversation moved on somewhat, sorry I am a complete newb at this forum :) )
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Dimitris Kamenopoulos.
4 years 2 months ago #48570

My Pull Request was just merged to libgphoto2 so hopefully I will update the nightly libgphoto2 release today and you can test with the nightly INDI GPhoto driver. Thanks to Alex for testing this patch, he provided all the necessary information to get it working!
4 years 2 months ago #48648

Replied by Harkant singh on topic Nikon DSLR conflict

Hi Marc. I recently got hold of a Nikon D750. Could you please help me out with the ways to connect it to the computer. I am not able to find a USB cable in the market that fits the connector on the camera. can it be done with wifi?? Which wire are you using - in case you are using one.
2 years 5 months ago #76680

Time to create page: 1.029 seconds