INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Canon Rebel T6i Camera Support

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I've got most of Astroberry working ok so far to the point I'm trying to run my Canon Rebel T6i from it. However, I can't seem to get the shutter to work reliably. I'm using the INDI Gphoto CCD interface using a USB cable connection to the camera. For example, under the INDI control panel/Main Control a 10 second exposure and mirror lock delay of 1 second (camera set to manual/bulb) usually just clicks the mirr

File Attachment:

File Name: log_21-05-19.txt
File Size:53 KB
or and shutter immediately only for an instant, while the 10 second countdown proceeds. I've attached a log file which shows the sequence, starting at line 343 or so.

When I try to run a script under the EKOS panel, exposure just hangs. I don't have a log file for this situation, unfortunately.

The INDI Canon camera interface does not work at all for me--the camera is not detected.

Things run fine under APT in Windows, so I know this is not a cable or camera-related issue.
Thanks for any help
5 years 2 months ago #35039
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
The log show (line 368) that the image is successfully written to camera's SD card. Did you check the image?
You can set target to Internal memory. This way you transfer images for processing by Ekos and store them in a preconfigured directory on your RPi.
5 years 2 months ago #35047

• Thank you received: 74
Check your Noise Reduction Setting on the camera - if this is set it can cause Gphoto2 to hang for any image above 9secs - always shows "recording" on camera LCD screen. Set this function off and see if this cures the problem.

And yes this setting works ok on APT :-(
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #35052

The problem is that the shutter doesn't stay open for the full programmed time interval--it's only a 1/10 sec exposure, as if the shutter button under the bulb setting was just pressed manually for an instant. The camera, itself was manually set to Manual and Bulb. So the program is not holding the shutter open for the full count.
The image does get written to the SD card ok. The image file header shows it is only a 1/10 sec, not a 10 sec, exposure.

Is there a way to determine if I have the proper driver installed? As far as I can tell, the camera driver should have been the version included in the Astroberry image file, as I don't recall installing anything over it.

Regards, Richard
5 years 2 months ago #35066

I cannot help much with DSLR and gphoto driver because I dont use these. Try updating the system with "sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade". Maybe an update to the driver already fixes the issue.
5 years 2 months ago #35067

You can of course see if the Gphoto2 program will run from the command line as the Indi DSLR version is a soft link to this software. Google how to test out Gphoto2 and if it does the same thing Contact Gphoto2 they may have a solution

Links www.gphoto.org github.com/gphoto/gphoto2

Gphoto2 is the command line tool that uses the same standard software as Indi DSLR.

Again have you checked your camera settings as I described above - your problem sounds exactly the same as I had which was solved by changing this setting. :-)

P.S. you may have to install Gphoto2 as I dont know if Astroberry comes with this already installed but it does come with the library dependencies
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #35078

I have just recalled another thread related to gphoto... You can replace libgphoto with Jasem's version
sudo apt-add-respository ppa:mutlaqja/libgphoto2
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
5 years 2 months ago #35079

Thanks
I had already tried using Gphoto2 using the scripts posted at baheyeldin.com/astronomy/using-canon-eos...lb-mode-gphoto2.html which works perfectly.

I will try the other suggestions when I get a chance.

Anybody know if the Stellarmate version of the software will fully support a Canon T6i?--I'm willing to pay for it if it does--or just go back to ASCOM on my Windows laptop and use the Raspberry Pi to control my garage door, or something :sick:

Thanks
5 years 2 months ago #35083

If Gphoto2 runs ok then it looks like your Astroberry/Indi set up is corrupt or has a currupt file IMO. As I said as far as I know Indi DSLR driver just links to Gphoto ( had not heard the suggestion from Redek before but he should know).

You are using Native (i.e. RAW/cr2) , full image size dimensions and have the correct Indi device settings for your camera - pixel,res,um etc Plus check your Mirror Lock setting in Indi devices are clashing with Camera settings (doubt it is Gphoto2 working). There are some . files used by Gphoto etc which may have been corrupted.

You could of course just download the normal Ubuntu Mate version and install Indi yourself - just follow the instructions on this site. If Gphoto2 works you cant be far off.

Maybe Jasem would care to comment !!!!

Hope you get sorted :-)

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 2 months ago #35090

Well, I did a complete reinstall of Astroberry (3rd or 4th time since I started playing with the RPi) and things are looking better. Perhaps the problem was that I may have missed the the 'Presets' dropdown menu under GPhoto CCD/Main Control and had it set to something other than bulb--frankly, I don't think I had even noticed that dropdown box before!!! I know I had set the camera itself to 'bulb' and must have assumed that was sufficient.
I still need to figure some other things out since Ekos/Indi control panel seem to crash on occasion --too early to put a handle on what's happening, although it may be related to settings related to viewing the downloaded image. I'll have to play some more . Anyway, I do feel like I'm making progress.
5 years 2 months ago #35094

Time to create page: 0.805 seconds