INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help controlling where Astrometry runs, PI or Laptop.

• Thank you received: 2
Hi All,
I have a question on choosing where astrometry runs.

I have had several successful imaging runs with Kstars/Ekos/Indi/ on and Ubuntu laptop.

I now want to move to phase 2 of my plan, that is to move Indi to a Scope mounted Rasbperry Pi.

My problem is it all seems much slower than on the laptop. A ten second exposure takes minutes to expose and down load. Every minute wasted is a few million photons lost forever. I need to look into where the time is going..

This question is about where should Astrometry run on the Pi or the laptop?

Also can I make it run on the Laptop but Indi on the PI?

I am on the latest stable release, via apt-get, and running on Ubuntu and Raspbian, Pi 3B+, 64GB SD, Tp-Link Travel hub, PI onboard WiFi.

Thanks to everyone involved for such a great astronomy resource.
5 years 1 month ago #35176

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
There is a limit to how much speed you can coax out of a Pi3. I have experienced the same limitations. Image downloading is definitely a bottleneck, so is astrometry. Solutions on the Pi can take as long as 90s.

For this reason, I have moved to a mini-PC. An important consideration is that you choose one that has USB3 capability, otherwise you will still have to deal with slower image downloads. You also should have at least 4 GB RAM and run the system form an SSD or eMMC. I use a Zotac 332pico and I am very, very happy with it. It runs a bit hot, so I stuck two heat sinks on it, that seems to have done the trick. Astrometry runs on that mini-PC (although I keep the astrometry.net files on an attached USB3 pocket hard drive).

The only drawback is that it draws twice as much power than the RPi3, so you need a larger battery to have it last through the night.

But not nearly as large a battery as you need for running the cooled camera, dew strips and the mount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John, Jan
5 years 1 month ago #35183

• Thank you received: 140
Well I have the rpi on my pier and run Kstars and Ekos on an Ubuntu laptop in the house and just run indiserver on the rpi, so all the work, including Astrometry is done on the laptop, I also solve offline as I have all the index files I need downloaded to the laptop, it all runs great... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
5 years 1 month ago #35194

Thanks El Corazon and Astronerd, I think I have worked out that I have the INDI parts running on the PI and Astrometry is, in my head, part of Ekos which is on the laptop. This is what I wanted. I just need to to some timings and see if I can find what is using up valuable photon counting time.

I have the PI and voltage regulators and PWM driver board (still have to do the arduino software for heaters), usb hub etc all in a neat box so would rather stick with that but I will consider a net top PC, strapped on the side as well.

I do have a couple of Tinker Boards which are a bit faster than the PI but I have not even looked to see if Indi will run on there.
5 years 1 month ago #35220

Astronerd, I see you using similar gear to myself, SH SXVR H18, Lode Star, EQ5 and EQ6.

So I am curious if you have noticed any dead time between images, presumably either download time or network transfer time.

I am just setting up ready to try and measure those times taking some exposures of the dust cap in the day time.
5 years 1 month ago #35221

No not really, I normally set a pause between exposures anyway just to let things settle, with the H18 the images take about 5 seconds to pop up in fits viewer and I have around a ten second pause... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
5 years 1 month ago #35228

I think I was worrying unduly, I was standing in the cold waiting for 10 second test images and it seemed to take forever. (I am an armchair astronomer after all)

So I have done some timings to put science ahead of guess work.

Raspberry PI-Raspbian-Indi and Laptop Ubuntu Ekos etc. H18 via USB2. Delay=0.

10 x 10 seconds took 212 seconds (53% photons lost)
10 x 300 seconds took 3145 seconds (5% photons lost)

Laptop Ubuntu Indi+Ekos etc. H18 via USB2. Delay=0.

10 x 10 seconds took 150 seconds (33% photons lost)

10 x 300 seconds took 3049 seconds (2% photons lost)

So for realistic exposure lengths, there is a small but not too big penalty to using the PI.
There is of course the advantage of less cables etc., that is I want to achieve.

And yes I also use a 10 second delay for the camera to dump download heat also heavy dithering.

All in all nothing to worry about.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
5 years 1 month ago #35229

• Thank you received: 31
It's when you're downloading the image that the bottleneck occurs. When you take your picture, it's a raw file (or a JPEG, bad idea) or a *.fits which is sent back to your laptop. Depending on the size of your sensor, the size of your image can vary from 2 MB up to 40 MB and even more.
So the way you link your laptop to your Raspi is essential. If you use a WIFI cnx, depending on how you proceed, (802.11 b, g, n, ac) there's a huge difference in terms of time of transfer. One thing you should do is use this small and useful program called "iperf" to test the actual quality of your cnx. In my case, I reach 96Mb/s with a Raspi 2. That means my 40MB image will be sent in (40*8)/96=3.5 secs more or less. But if you have a lesser cnx, fetching your image will be much longer. So trying to optimize your link is the best call as a fist step in your quest for performance :).
As for the plate solving, I think, you should stick to solve on the laptop with local database, and if you have ssd disks, it's even better.
5 years 1 month ago #35235

So when using the rpi, was that remotely with the camera connected to the rpi, and using Ekos on the laptop..??, also how were you then connecting the rpi from laptop, WiFi or Ethernet cable..?
5 years 1 month ago #35240

• Thank you received: 18
Yes, download speed of the connection is the biggest bottleneck. Second (depending on camera) is the USB connection. I have an ASI1600 with USB 3. RPi has USB 2. Both WiFi strength and USB3 port availability were for me reason to move from RPi to headless PC on the OTA. I opted for the Fitlet2, which runs Linux, great little computer, designed to be used outdoors in rough circumstances.
Overall I went from about 10-12s download time per image to around 5-6s download time, which for me was a worthwhile upgrade. For polar alignment, plate solving, focusing, you can further opt to take 2x2bins, which are 25% in size and download even faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 1 month ago #35252

• Thank you received: 161
I 100% agree with what wjdrijfhout said. USB3 + Gigabit ethernet + a decent CPU for solving make things MUCH more convenient. In my case readout of a frame plus transfer to the client combined takes 4s and plate solving typically takes 2s. The minor additional expense for quicker hardware is a one-off. The penalty for slow hardware however must be paid time and time again, on every single frame that is being downloaded and transferred.
The following user(s) said Thank You: W J Drijfhout
5 years 1 month ago #35253

• Thank you received: 182
Obviously you want the fastest computer with the fastest connection possible. That will differ which each user’s personal circumstances.
If you have access to a power outlet, you have more options than if you are in the field and running on batteries. In that latter case the Pi3 has an edge. Download speed throughout the night becomes a secondary factor if your Pi lasts all night on an external LiIon battery, while your PC has depleted the same battery in <2 hours.
There is no universal advice on this topic. Every setup has its pros and cons.
5 years 1 month ago #35256

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds