INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

well this has put the cat amongst the pidgeons - if it works

• Thank you received: 31
Anon,

The only way that is going to work is to have Windows controlling devices and others controlling Windows.

It might suit some but is not where I want to be going.

Paul
5 years 1 month ago #35245

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 104
It work...
I recently added native Alpaca support to Cartes du Ciel and CCDciel. So you can now use devices connected to a remote Windows computer from the application running on Linux or Mac, and use a mix of INDI and Alpaca devices if you want.

This is interesting for a multi-platform application because this extend what we are accustomed to do with INDI, by using the devices connected on Linux or Mac from any other platform.

Sure at some point this is can be a "concurrent" for INDI but I prefer to see the complementary this protocol offer.
And if the equipment manufacturer start to offer a native Alpaca support for their devices this will be much better for us than the old Windows technology they actually use.

Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
5 years 1 month ago #35254

• Thank you received: 74
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info - interesting

What was the network traffic like and did this cause your applications any issues - REST /HTTP is a "very chatty protocol" ?

In my view it fills a whole where Indi isn't really suppoted - Windows (and Win 32 - yes many still use Win32 esp on tablets) plus having access to fully tested applications (e.g. CDC etc) and tested Windows Ascom drivers is a bonus.

IF (BIG IF) OEM do support Alpaca especially on Linux / Mac (natively) then its got to be a plus IMO :-)

Early days
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 1 month ago #35255

• Thank you received: 104
At the protocol level there is a small overhead for the http headers but the json message itself is light.
The network traffic depend on the application poling rate because this still work as ASCOM, i.e. the application query the driver to know if something change.
This give more traffic than INDI where this is the driver that send the new data if something change in the device.

Sure you not need to query your focuser ten time per second all the night to know if it as moved by itself. But with Alpaca it is the application responsibility to make a reasonable use of the resources.

As with INDI the biggest load is when you download an image from the camera.
With Alpaca this return a json array and sure this require some processing on both side to convert from and to binary.
5 years 1 month ago #35259

This is quite interesting especially if fully opened source. I've been playing around with the idea of providing a REST interface for INDI as well, but it's going to a lot of effort to make this layer.

I beleive the ASCOM developers finally realized the limitations of their legacy implementation and made good steps with the architecture now. It has yet to be seen how this plays out in the real world.
5 years 1 month ago #35260

Thanks Pater / Jasem for your comments.

Interestingly I have been playing with MQTT/JSON to attach multiple DSLR camera's using GPHOTO - wouldnt take much (maybe) to change this to interface with Ascom Remote/Alpaca as it uses Json as do I. I was surprised (nice surprise) that Blobs went across local networks as fast as Indi . For me the beauty of MQTT is you dont need to know anything of the whereabouts of the remote devices (IP address's etc).

Having done some more reading and lightening to he Youtube vid's it appears it is ALL Open Source (I am a scenic by nature :-) ) and they even show a Linux Rotator (in simulation mode :-) LOL ) with Skyx on Windows and the python code on PI - very interesting.

As you say Jasem they have finally learned Ascom limitations - no more COM/USB (ok well maybe not quite)

It is a bit biased in that its all Visual Studio 2017 ( which you guy probably love - i hate it) - even for editing Python on Windows and GIT it to PI but that is the root of Ascom - Windows.

Exiting times for all :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 1 month ago #35261

Interesting times indeed. With INDI, maybe it wouldn't be a lot of work if we have an XML <---> JSON conversion layer. With this, we can add REST API support in no time since we can simply convert the JSON calls to XML which are then passed right away to the drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
5 years 1 month ago #35264

Put MQTT in there and you dont even have know/care where devices are or how may devices are doing the same thing all at the same time - being cheeky sorry :-)

5 years 1 month ago #35265

• Thank you received: 375

Actually I'm in the process of writing MQTT driver for INDI 8-)
It will take some time to complete as I'm extremely busy with my profession recently, but anyway worth noting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Herwig
5 years 1 month ago #35292

Radek -

great minds think alike LOL

At the moment mine isn't for Indi just to use Gphoto2 connected camera from anywhere bu the principle is the same.

IBM wrote a good paper on using MQTT for "serious" Astronomy to share/control data/devices over the world. Biggest plus as I see it is not having to know where the device are. IBM had developed an Ascom wrapper for MQTT but now with Alpaca/Indi maybe it will provide best of all flavours.

Will keep an eye out for your progress !!!!

Good luck

The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
5 years 1 month ago #35320

• Thank you received: 174
Jasem, maybe you should look at INDIGO XML vs. JSON HTTP/WebSocket mapping before you will try to reinvent the wheel. Among INDIGO web applications it is used also by INDIGO ASCOM drivers for years. Peter

github.com/indigo-astronomy/indigo/blob/master/PROTOCOLS.md
5 years 1 month ago #35333

Well tried it out between Up Core Windows 10 and a desktop.

I have to say the terminology doesn't make a lot of sense - remote client , server is fine nothing knew but IMHO the set up is confusing and of course still depends on the user knowing IP addresses etc - plus good old Win10 Firewall sticking its nose in.

Anyhow I got it working but of course Ascom doesn't have a DSLR driver but running APT on the UP Core which was on the mount (my good old SWAZ GoTo) together with Synscan App Pro (no handset) and CDC on a desktop it ran for 2hrs no problem. Slewing here and there no problem. Plus APT PlateSolving worked too.

CDC did initially moan something about "Object Instance error" and loops horribly if the mount get disconnected (does that anyway) - but it worked too.

Response time were fine but I wasn't downloading CCD images between the UP Core and the desktop.

So initial impressions - Impressed it worked so well - wish it had a Ascom DSLR driver - set up not for end users. So just need an Indi interface (especially for DSLR) Ekos and your cooking. Obviously its early days and it was a quick test :-)

As the old Canned Heat record said " Come Come lets work together" LOL

5 years 1 month ago #35334

Time to create page: 1.105 seconds