INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New to Kstars and EKOS - questions?

• Thank you received: 31
If you don't want any root password EVER :) (NOT COOL!!!)
# su -
(enter your password for the last time)
# visudo
(Go to the last line of the sudoers file and add)
yourlogin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
(Replace 'yourlogin' with your login :) . Save and you're done: no more root password asked. EVER. So be VERY CAREFUL :) )

- Marc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Kramer
5 years 1 month ago #35640

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Yep! The root account can be very powerful. It will let you destroy your OS without asking questions. (I've done that!). The good thing is, it's a quick reinstall to start over again - unlike the several hour ordeal it would be to do the same with Windows. ;-)

Think twice before hitting [enter] and you'll be ok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Kramer
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Tom Gwilym.
5 years 1 month ago #35647

• Thank you received: 53
Wow Marc - thanks! I don't mine the tape of the space bar for a pw that mint allowed me. I do not like the astroberry pw requirement of 6 keys and nothing like qwerty. I hate the PW on windows and the "you don't have permission to do that" (ON MY MACHINE! I Don't need permission to do anythign I AM THE ADMIN). I hate that.

f you don't want any root password EVER :) (NOT COOL!!!)

Who am I password'ing out? I don't mind one to log in ONCE. All these during use is more irritating than windows. Are there commands that would let me at least change the pw to a tap of the space bar on astroberry?
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Ron Kramer.
5 years 1 month ago #35681

AMEN bro - I had problems with the wifi and I reflashed and started over and it's a new experience. Wifi worked properly. I do enjoy using mint over astroberry. I have a hard time getting around in astro... The lack of a working browsers was also a limitation. And I can't find the program manager that lets you install things. So I sudo'd myself a chromium install and that lets me get online. Right now I'm typing on the left on mint on a desktop and typing on the right on my other monitor with the Pi.

LAST NIGHT I powered up teh domePC (windows10) and started teh server. I loaded up kstar and indi and connected the devices. (there are some issues. 1. ZWO camera doesn't appear. (I think I might need to install the zwo drivers again). 2. I have a couple simulators that appear (I don't install any in my equipment?). I did rotate and open and close the shutter with one click. ! However I don't see a way to sync the opening with the scope. I clicked on points in Kstars and it would slew there. (dome didn't rotate with it). Filter wheel is fine, focuser fine. But there are quirks. Like the mount wouldn't connect unless I clicked disconnect. I THINK the quirks are because I have a OSX wrapped indi server on windows. Not sure, so I'll probably install linux on the dome pc too. How ever I hope all this isn't for nothing. Without a dome/slave system that might put a no go on the whole mess. But it has been fun.

5 years 1 month ago #35683

OH that appears to work superbly.

Marc since I have your expertise here... I have 5 machines on my network. I just started using linux. I have two linix machines in front of me. Their network window shows ALL my devices (opps 6 machines). Shows my machines and my mesh router... BUT neither of the new linux installed machines show each other? Is there a SHARE command like win has? I'd like to share things between them and the network seems to be the easiest way.

5 years 1 month ago #35687

It all depends on what you want to do: if you want to exchange between Linux machines, a simple ssh/scp or rsync command is sufficient (on a terminal). try 'man ssh', 'man scp', 'man sftp' or 'man rsync' .
If you want to exchange between Windows and Linux machines through a GUI, you may want to install and set up a samba server/client. Using this, you'll be able to see your Linux machines from Windows and vice-versa. Google 'Samba' or 'smb server for Linux' and follow the thread :) . Good luck and be prepared to face a long and steep learning curve. But you'll see, it's very rewarding.

- Marc
5 years 1 month ago #35691

I installed samba . I can now see the other linux machines and windows files as well.

5 years 1 month ago #35697

I thought I read the PI was limited to 32gb sd? (I know the ASIair is).
I have a 64gb a 128gb and a 256gb that I don't use. Are you saying can put astroberry on the 128gb for more storage?

OR 64gb - can we then plug in a external HD or usb drive to save subs to?

5 years 1 month ago #35989

Good luck and be prepared to face a long and steep learning curve. But you'll see, it's very rewarding.

Got that - my issue is at my age my memory is mush... so retaining anything is a chore. Luckily most things are a google away.

5 years 1 month ago #35990

64GB Samsung EVO Select and 64GB Sandisk Ultra both work.
On the Raspi I use as media center (under Openelec), I have a 1TB disk on an USB port. It's been working for 4 years.

- Marc
5 years 1 month ago #36001

• Thank you received: 6
Hi,
I'm quite new on INDI as well ...Just my 2 cents... I went easy way, bought Stellarmate OS, flashed to 32 GB card. The 50$ was well spent! Installed to PI 3+ and hooked up vie Ethernet. Installed on Win 7 PC Ekos. From there I control everything. My observing site from my house is just far enough to recieve Wi Fi, so before I connect Ethernet cable, I'll let the Wifi adjust to correct time (takes ca 5-10 second)
Best thing is, if You're in trouble ( I was due my some computer illiteracy), Jasem is there to sort things out via Teamviewer. Now is everything as I wish for it. Just need some tweaking on my guiding... The system works easily @ -18C ( last night)
I hope it helps.
5 years 1 month ago #36033

I thought about that OS option. But I also think it's all free open source stuff? I actually bought a ASIair and it works well (I've only tested so far) but I like messing with software and stuff so I bought a PI and installed ASTROBERRY on it.
That's fine for my portable setup. (or the ASIair) but I'm now trying to change over my dome setup to Kstars. I have a lot more hardware than is 'easy'. My dome will take some firmware downgrades and other such issues. But I tend to enjoy the challenge and I love to learn new stuff.

5 years 1 month ago #36138

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds