INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO ASI290MM bit depth weirdness

• Thank you received: 2
New information about problem with short exposures with the ZWO ASI290MM.

Two exposures of theta aurigae taken a few minutes apart in 8 bit mode.

Exposure #1 taken using Control Panel -> ZWO CCD ASI290MM -> Main Control -> Set. Exposure .2". Gain 0. Max pixel intensity 5. Fits data attached as th2l_t0.txt

Exposure #2 taken using Ekos CCD & Filter Wheel -> Start Sequence. Exposure .005". Gain 0. Max pixel intensity 255. Fits data attached as theta_aur_Light_002_t0.txt

There is something terribly wrong with Exposure #1 as all brighter pixels get truncated to 5. Nothing appears to be wrong with the camera since it produced both exposures. Something might be wrong with the driver or the operator (i.e. me) taking images from the control panel.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks.
After sleeping on it and though I can't document it, I should say that exposures taken through the control panel *look* fine in the FITS viewer. It isn't until the file is saved that information is lost.
Here is another experiment:

Expose for 1 millisecond in dim room with kit fish-eye lens both ways.

1. Exposed using "Set" in main control tab of control panel. Intensity range: 16 to 6266 with some clustering at max.

2. Exposed using "Start Sequence" of one exposure under Ekos CCD and Filter tab. Intensity range: 16 to 65504.

Am I misunderstanding the software? Is this a bug? Is this a problem with stack of Ekos on Crouton?
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Mark Copper. Reason: further data
5 years 1 month ago #35439
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.968 seconds