INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Raspberry Pi 3b+ INDI server not installing with Raspbian

• Thank you received: 0
Problem. Have a working Pi3b+ on Raspbian. Following all the instructions on the website to download and install the INDI server. Get everything extracted ok but the dependencies and server won't install. Just a bunch of continues error messages.
This is my first Pi so I don't have an older version to try and compare. Is this incident just isolated to the Pi3b+ ? And if so..... is a fix in the works? Thanks for any help.

Also: have Astroberry running on another SDCard and seems to work but I noticed Firefox will not run due to a license code missing. Is that intentional? Mike.
5 years 1 month ago #35452

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
What operating system are you using? Version?
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 1 month ago #35478

I have Raspbian Stretch...... the November 2018 version running
5 years 1 month ago #35482

I had the same problems and ended up using Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and (testing right now) Lubuntu 16.04 on my 3B+
Please not that in order to install one of each I had to put the card into a 3B and do an upgrade, otherwise the 3B+ refused to boot.
5 years 1 month ago #35486

• Thank you received: 31
It is achievable, I have it running under the latest Raspbian, however, this was not a straightforward job.
I needed to build it from scratch and had many hurdles.
5 years 1 month ago #35490

I see.....it seems.... for my applications at the moment the new Pi3b+ isn’t worth the aggravation for a dedicated observatory computer. Most software is behind the curve in development for the current architecture and what does work is never consistent.... it works one minute then becomes totally inactive the next.
5 years 1 month ago #35507

• Thank you received: 375
Why do you think so? I'm using 2 x 3B+ and 1 x 3B on my telescopes and every single astro session runs on them. It might be true if you got used to specific software, which is only available for other platforms, but what would it be?
You can easily slew, focus, plate solve, polar align, schedule image acquisition, control domes, integrate with weather station... What is lacking? And I really mean this. Me personally, I'm 100% happy and the only thing that I'm missing is functionality of CCD Inspector... wait, ASTAP has recently added it ;-)
5 years 1 month ago #35513

• Thank you received: 74
I think you are being grossly unfair Mike the RPI3B+ has been out less than a year and has changed the boot load process - Note RPI Charity had a head start as they knew what was coming but they still had a number of problem - over heating,duff memory etc. Ubuntu Mate playing catch up is the problem no Indi.

FYI Downloading and running Ubuntu 16.04 from Berryboot gives you a working system from the start ,on a RPI3b+,you can then just use the std instructions for Indi installation on Ubuntu Mate - a short and painless exercise - if that is what you want . Else use Radeks Astroberry which comes with everything and more - ready to go - remember he does this for free in his own time.

You could shell out $$ and buy Stellarmate which also runs on RPI3b+.

Where in Windows does Astro software come fully loaded ?

Ok Indi is not all a bed of roses and I am the first to admit there are parts I still prefer on Windows but it s ok as many here will testify.

Question is why do you want Raspbian ?

Clear Skies :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 1 month ago #35517

I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.....didn't mean that..... and I greatly appreciate all the applications and time people put into doing this.......just putting it on the back burner as far as actually using in the observatory until i get everything straightened out...... didn't realize all the time it would take to get this little deck of cards up and running properly that's all. I get EKOS firing away at the DSLR....save all my settings and when i come back and get everything up and running again....nothing but error messages at times with no camera control..... i'm just saying for me it hasn't been consistent yet....and some of that i'm sure is probably on my part since the Pi type computer is a new toy for me and i'm just getting familiar with it....and all the various OS's available. I have a good computer background but just getting my hands wrapped around Linux for the first time also...giving myself a crash course but learning quickly.....that's been a learning curve too not knowing where to go to get reliable OS's to try.....just trying to figure out what works. Astroberry is a great suite and i have it. I think theres a problem when running EKOS on the Mac and just accessing the INDI server on the Pi to run things.....but then again it shouldn't be....If it connects to the DSLR .....which it does..... it should work.......it does......but not all the time which puzzles me.
5 years 1 month ago #35523

I'm not giving up on it......just saying for what ever reason it's not consistent with controlling my DSLR. There's definitely been a problem when running EKOS on the Mac and talking to INDI server on the Pi......Also figuring out what software works and doesn't on the Pi3b+.........I'll eventually figure it out.... i'm pretty good with computers. The Pi and Linux are both new to me so theres been a little bit of a learning curve but i'm coming along......and i greatly appreciate all the help you gave me the other day......saved me a lot of time!

On top of that.....since connecting my Pi to my home network my laser printer has become non usable which i have no idea why....LOL....it shows up on the Network but refuses to print saying its unavailable and it was working just prior to introducing the Pi to my Network.....that's another problem for another time.
5 years 1 month ago #35524

• Thank you received: 31
There is no Raspberry Pi aggravation, it has been around long enough that it is no longer the issue.
The problem is that is takes a reasonable effort to set up INDI regardless of the operating system.
This is made relatively straightforward if you use the prepared versions - such as the Ubuntu Mate version as the heavy lifting has been done for you.
Even easier would be to use one of the prepared versions that you can obtain.
If you stay on the bleeding edge you will find things occasionally fail but then again you get some new features earlier and other bugs fixed.
I suggest you always have multiple back ups and test thoroghly when you update.
Personally, I find the Raspbian version is really very good, especially running using VNC.
Paul
5 years 1 month ago #35554

Time to create page: 1.474 seconds