INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Usb dew point not connecting

• Thank you received: 62
I always had big issues connecting to Usb_dewpoint (and to get help or any feedback from the manufacturer).
After starting the driver and trying to connect, usb_dewpoint doesn't work and also other serial devices are disconnected.

In the latest release usb_focus connection issues were fixed. Could it be that Usb_dewpoint had the same connection method and that can be fixed as well?

Ferrante
5 years 1 month ago #36497

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 168
USB_Focus and USB_DewPoint both use same protocol which is a quite fragile as it doesn't contain any sync points when sending commands, it just takes 6 previous characters as a command and goes out of sync if ModemManager or any other driver writes to the device before the driver connects. The driver does contain a workaround which tries to resync the commands by sending spaces until it receives an error at which point the commands are back in sync, but for some reason that doesn't always seem to work properly either. So I recommend uninstalling ModemManager if installed and disabling auto search for ports for all devices and using fixed aliases. So if you can't even connect, that's probably the issue, the fixes made to USB_Focus were more towards random timeouts and dropped characters during long operation, but I should probably port those over to USB_DewPoint driver too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrante Enriques
5 years 1 month ago #36502

hi Jpaana,
I stopped and disabled ModemManager service, disabled auto search for all devices and set up serial mapping rules for all connected devices. USB_dewpoint doesn't show a 'serial attribute' so I used product name (and VendorId and ProductId of course) to identify it in the rule. To be more clear, I found this on ttyACM1:
looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.1/1-2.1.3':
    KERNELS=="1-2.1.3"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb"
    DRIVERS=="usb"
    ATTRS{authorized}=="1"
    ATTRS{avoid_reset_quirk}=="0"
    ATTRS{bConfigurationValue}=="1"
    ATTRS{bDeviceClass}=="02"
    ATTRS{bDeviceProtocol}=="00"
    ATTRS{bDeviceSubClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{bMaxPacketSize0}=="8"
    ATTRS{bMaxPower}=="500mA"
    ATTRS{bNumConfigurations}=="1"
    ATTRS{bNumInterfaces}==" 2"
    ATTRS{bcdDevice}=="0100"
    ATTRS{bmAttributes}=="80"
    ATTRS{busnum}=="1"
    ATTRS{configuration}==""
    ATTRS{devnum}=="11"
    ATTRS{devpath}=="2.1.3"
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="9e41"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="0461"
    ATTRS{ltm_capable}=="no"
    ATTRS{maxchild}=="0"
    ATTRS{product}=="USB_Dewpoint"
    ATTRS{quirks}=="0x0"
    ATTRS{removable}=="unknown"
    ATTRS{speed}=="12"
    ATTRS{urbnum}=="59"
    ATTRS{version}==" 1.10"

So added the rule:
# USB_DEWPOINT
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0461", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9e41", ATTRS{product}=="USB_Dewpoint", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="dewpoint"

It then starts a serial connection on ACM1:
lrwx------ 1 ferrante ferrante 64 Mar 14 16:23 /proc/2436/fd/3 -> /dev/ttyACM1

So it seems to work fine, but then INDI doesn't work. It should be more a USB_dewpoint protocol issue.
To manually solve the syncing problem I stop the driver, fuser -k the connection, switch off / on the power and try again. Is there any other way to 'reset' syncing?

Thank for you help.
Ferrante
5 years 1 month ago #36513

• Thank you received: 168
That should work, but logs would be useful to see how the device responds. I'm on vacation for this week, but could check them out after Sunday.
5 years 1 month ago #36528

hi Jpaana,
After some power off / on cycles, the USB_dewpoint connected successfully!
It is the first time in months, so it should have been something that you suggested in your last post (ModemManager or auto search ).
I leave debug on for the device so if connection issues will occur again I will be able to post the log file.

Thanks for you help and enjoy your vacation!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarno Paananen
5 years 1 month ago #36562

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds