INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SOLVED - How Do I Chain Two Stellarmates so They're Seen as One by Ekos?

• Thank you received: 31
I would like to use two Stellarmates to improve performance. One would control a Canon T3i DSLR camera for imaging, the second would control the mount (iOptron iEQ45 Pro) and guiding using a QHY5-II-M camera. I came across instructions on how to do this so Ekos (running as a remote client on a PC) sees both Stellarmate boxes as one, but try as I might, I can't find it again. As I recall, there was a simple command line you key in and you're good to go...???

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
5 years 1 month ago #36617

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
I wouldn’t mind doing this eventually, but for the different reason of having two imaging scopes on one mount.

Each StellarMate would control a camera/focuser, but the master would do mount control, plate solving, auto guiding etc. The main thing being the 2nd supports a pause while dithering on the master as well as having the same length of sub configured on the master and it applies to the other one.
5 years 1 month ago #36619

• Thank you received: 33
Is this what you are looking for?
indilib.org/support/tutorials/159-indi-on-multiple-devices.html

I was going to use a second sbc to control my mount via this method but ended up getting a bluetooth device to do it. Sounds like a neat way to share the load.
5 years 1 month ago #36623

5 years 1 month ago #36625

• Thank you received: 33
ChrisHoward explains how he setup two pi's to manage everything
indilib.org/forum/general/3788-running-a...ing-setup.html#28788
5 years 1 month ago #36629

OK, I'm making some progress. I have edited the Hosts files on both Rpis and my PC and I can successfully ping each Rpi from any of the three by keying in their alias. I can also stat Indi Server with the correct drivers for my secondary Rpi server. However, when I start the primary server with the commands to link to the secondary, and then test it from my PC using Ekos, it's not working. Here's my set-up, sequence, and commands:

Setup:
Primary Rpi controls my Canon DSLR
Secondary Rpi controls the QHY guide cam and iOptron mount

Commands:
Step 1 on secondary Rpi: indiserver -m 100 -vv indi_qhy_ccd indi_ieq_telescope

Step 2: on primary Rpi: indiserver -m 100 -vv indi_gphoto_ccd "QHY CCD"@guide "iEQ"@guide

From my PC running Ekos, it will connect to the QHY guide camera and the iEQ mount, but not the Canon camera. When I try to start only the Canon driver, I get a message the address is already in use. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here - I'm assuming it's something in the commands I'm keying in...??? Also know that I'm a Linux noob, but VERY experienced with PCs.

Thanks!

Tom
5 years 1 month ago #36633

Still trying to get this figured out, but when I try to chain the two RPIs together using the commands I listed above, I get a "BIND: address already in use" message. No matter what I try, it simply doesn't want to work. I can get both RPIs running fine individually, but I can't get them to chain to save my life.
5 years 1 month ago #36635

• Thank you received: 301
Could it be that your primary rpi doesn't know where is "guide"? You did add a line in your /etc/hosts file on the primary rpi with "<ip-address> guide"?

-Eric
5 years 1 month ago #36645

Yes, I added both rpi's to each's host file, as well as my PCs.
5 years 1 month ago #36667

• Thank you received: 301
On which computer do you have the bind error? As you may know, a bind error means another indiserver is probably already running.
You can use "ps -aef" in a terminal to obtain a flattened tree list of processes currently running.
Locate the INDI processes, check there are as many of them as you require, not more.
You can also use "netstat -l" to list processes that are listening to ports on your computer.
5 years 1 month ago #36672

I get the bind error on the "camera" server, and that's the only thing that RPI runs. I've also tried making the camera the secondary server - same problem. Strangely, it starts just fine if I start it via the Stellarmate Web Manager.
5 years 1 month ago #36676

Woo Hoo!!! I got it to work!!!

I had to reverse the order of the start-up syntax. AND, (this one's strange) I also have to start the Indi Server in Stellarmate Web Manager for the CAMERA RPI, then stop it, then close the Stellarmate Web Manager window - don't ask me why, but if I don't do this, I get a message stating - Bind: Address already in use - when I try to start the Canon camera server driver from the terminal. My guess is there may be a bug in Stellarmate Web Manager that's not releasing the port...???

Here's the syntax that works:

1) Start secondary RPI (named camera):
indiserver indi_gphoto_ccd

2) Chain to secondary FIRST and THEN start primary RPI server (named guide) devices:
indiserver "GPhoto CCD"@camera:7624 indi_ieq_telescope indi_qhy_ccd

For other people to use this, simply change the device names to the Indi names of your devices and also change the network name you assigned to your RPI/Stellarmate box (the name you used in your HOST files)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
5 years 1 month ago #36679

Time to create page: 0.853 seconds