INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Ekos Win10

• Thank you received: 4

Ekos Win10 was created by Jan

why I cannot check local in ekos profile ?
Kastars 3.1.1 - Win10 64bit
Skywatcher Apo 80/600 EvoStar ED - Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo - ZWO ASI294MC Pro - ( Nikon D500)
5 years 1 week ago #36828

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Ekos Win10

In order to run Ekos on a Windows machine you need to have a Linux or Mac machine running INDI and connect to that.

HTH, Wouter
5 years 1 week ago #36829

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Ekos Win10

Because INdI does not run on Windows, as has been said you have to have INdI on a Linux, MAC or SBC...
5 years 1 week ago #36835

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Jan on topic Ekos Win10

why do I have to install INDI for windows if it doesn't work ?
Skywatcher Apo 80/600 EvoStar ED - Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo - ZWO ASI294MC Pro - ( Nikon D500)
5 years 6 days ago #36844

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Ekos Win10

KStars is a planetarium software. Ekos is a client embedded in KStars that supports talking to INDI servers. KStars can be installed on Linux, Windows and MacOS.
INDI is a different project, a framework providing instrument configuration and control under Linux. Thus to control your astronomy setup with INDI, the devices constituting your setup have to be controlled by a Linux machine before any client will be able to connect.
There are alternatives, but KStars requires an INDI setup.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 6 days ago #36845

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Re:Ekos Win10

If I understand correctly, the INDI server is needed on Windows for KStars/Ekos to connect to and it acts as a bridge to connect to the Linux INDI running remotely. In other words, Ekos needs a local INDI server to cnnect to no matter what. But the astronomical hardware cannot be controlled directly from a Windows machine and Linux or macos is needed for that.

HTH, Wouter
5 years 6 days ago #36846

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Re:Ekos Win10

No, incorrect....
There is no INdI server for windows.
You only need and can only have Kstars / Ekos on your windows machine, then that connects to an INdI server running remotely on either another Mac, Linux or raspberry PI machine at the mount...
So the comtrol is done with the windows machine, but the remote machine CANT be a windows as it has to have INdI server on it... Hope that explains
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
5 years 6 days ago #36847

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Ekos Win10

Nobody said that, there is no INdI server for windows, please see my last post it explains hopefully.... :)
5 years 6 days ago #36848

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Re:Ekos Win10

Thanks for the correction. It is clear that I am not a Windows user :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
5 years 6 days ago #36849

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Tom Bardenwerper on topic Re:Ekos Win10

The way I explain it to people is this:
Indi is essentially a hardware "driver" server that is run on a Mac or Linux computer - many/most run it on a Raspberry Pi running Linux operating system: Stellarmate OS ($49) or Astroberry (free) are GREAT, complete ready to run off-the-shelf packages - no Linux experience necessary. The server computer with its hardware drivers - specific to your astrophotography hardware - is then controlled by client software (called Ekos) running on a Mac, Linux or Windows PC. Ekos is a sophisticated astrophotography control module within the very robust and powerful (and FREE) Kstars planetarium program.

So for example, in my case I have a Linux Raspberry Pi 3B computer that is running the Indi Server software running drivers I chose from a menu for my specific AP hardware. I then have a Windows 10 PC that is running Kstars/Ekos. Both computers are networked together via my home WiFi network. I simply point Ekos (via the network) to the Indi server and Ekos controls ALL my astrophotography hardware via my Win 10 workstation.

Indi server is a breeze to use - could not be simpler. Connecting Ekos to Indi is also a breeze - it just works. Ekos on the other hand, while user friendly, has a rather steep learning curve, in part because of it's sophistication and number of powerful features and also in part due to rather limited documentation leaving new users to learn by trial and error for the more advanced features. There is however, an excellent set of video tutorials that will easily get new users up and running using standard "must have" features with a minimum of fuss. Power users can get their fix on with an astounding array of capabilities - although most are not needed to take good photos.

While I'd call running your astrophotography rig on a tiny SBC (Single Board Computer) like the Raspberry Pi with Indi networked to a workstation or laptop running Kstars/Ekos, experimental at this stage, it has actually become a quite powerful, capable, most importantly STABLE, and an ever more mature client/server solution that many see (including myself) as the future of astrophotography.

Benefits include MUCH lower power requirements, VERY low cost of entry: a SUPER-INEXPENSIVE $35 computer the size a a deck of playing cards that weighs only a few ounces, no more tethering an expensive and heavy laptop with cables to trip over, sorter, lighter, and easier to manage cables, and a COMPLETE, extremely powerful and inexpensive or even free software package instead of buying and running simultaneously numerous (and sometimes expensive) programs that don't always play well together and as a result are not always stable.

The biggest con at this point is simply learning how to use it with your particular gear (true for any system) , but for many that is also part of the fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Denning, Jan
Last edit: 5 years 5 days ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
5 years 5 days ago #36872

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by John Persichilli on topic Re:Ekos Win10

I do understand what is needed to be able to use KStars on a Windows machine. However, it seems to me that because you can't run a telescope directly from a KStars Windows installation what would be the value of installing it on Windows in the first place? I know there are options other than Kstars. Just my thoughts. I already have several computers running Ubuntu Linux and even one that is a dual boot with Windows 10 Home edition which I have installed KStars and connect my CGEM with.
3 years 3 months ago #64944

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by John Persichilli on topic Re:Ekos Win10

I am new to the whole Raspberry Pi thing. If I know anything what so ever do these devices operate wirelessly? I will assume that they do based on what I have gleaned from reading about them online. So, the idea here is to install one of these gadgets on or next to your astro gear. Using another computer install an Linux OS. Then you connect everything to the Raspberry Pi. Next using your home network connect to this device. Then you can use server EKOS to connect to the gadget. So it is independent as far as whether you use a Linux or Windows machine with KStars.

My question then would be, is it worth the money and time to install one of these gadgets for my astro gear?

Then there are a lot of choices for purchasing that it would take me a while to sift through all of the options out there.

It does sound interesting.
3 years 3 months ago #64946

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds