INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Unrequested meridian flip through capture module?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I've seen this a few times before, now posting about it:

I was imaging yesterday, using the capture module, not the scheduler. I was imaging M101, at this point in time close to east, or at least quite far from the meridian. I was about to shut it all down because of incoming clouds, when Ekos suddenly initiated a meridian flip (not requested by me, checbox unchecked) - and the meridian flip does not work with the Losmandy Gemini 2 (it needs a checkbox to be checked in the handcontrol, that the driver currently cannot handle), so nothing happened with the mount, but Ekos started post-flip alignment.

What is going on here? Log attached. Unfortunately a lot of debug stuff from Moonlite is included, making it huge. The meridian flip is intiated at 23:16:30.541, line 87380.

Magnus
5 years 3 weeks ago #36963
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
A meridian flip switch was moved to the EKOS mount tab recently. Perhaps that was on.
5 years 3 weeks ago #37039

• Thank you received: 42
Seems like I had similar occur a couple of nights ago imaging Markarian's chain in the south east. It indicated flip taking place followed by realignment. It did not appear to flip, far too adventureus for me. Image show relative positions at that time.
[2019-03-26T22:43:34.175 EDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.mount] - Meridian flip: slewing to RA= "12h 30m 01s" DEC= " 13° 04' 46

Attachment not found

5 years 2 weeks ago #37072
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0
I also had this yesterday, which prompted me to leg it to the scope ready to pull the power (I image on a tripod, and meridian flips require care) only to find it hadn't moved a bit. No clear indication as to to what prompted it in the logs.
5 years 2 weeks ago #37117

• Thank you received: 420
As IHOUJIN suggested, please check both the meridian flip setting in the imaging tab and in the mount tab. Are they both selected or is at least the one in the mount tab selected?
5 years 2 weeks ago #37226

• Thank you received: 0
No, neither is selected. As it happens I should have checked one and had a tripod leg crash later that evening!
5 years 2 weeks ago #37228

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Should have responded to that earlier. Same here, neither is/was selected (to the best of my knowledge).

Magnus
5 years 2 weeks ago #37229

• Thank you received: 42
Neither checked.
5 years 2 weeks ago #37239

• Thank you received: 226
Not sure if I can offer any solutions. But a tip, if you suspect an imminent crash, rather than legging it to ungracefully pull the plug, you can trigger an abort from within KStars.
5 years 2 weeks ago #37245

• Thank you received: 66

Why are their two meridian flip settings? I was trying to test this and didn't know which one to use or if they are connected or not. Very ambiguous and confusing. I know that it did work once while capturing (and checking the box in the capture module).

Also, I thought that if I had tracked through the meridian and then checked the box after the fact that it would flip, but it didn't. Is this not a good idea? It don't thing is - I'm pretty sure I typed "I don't think this..." Argh! - would be considered un-commanded motion. I think it would be good if it worked this way.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Greg.
5 years 2 weeks ago #37248

• Thank you received: 375
It flips on its own indeed. However it flips well ;-) It did an unrequested flip for me during last two sessions.
5 years 2 weeks ago #37255

The one in capture module is to flip when IN CAPTURE.

The one in mount module is to flip at any time the mount is tracking even when you're not capturing.

What can we do to make this more clear? some more description? tooltip ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 1 week ago #37341

Time to create page: 0.635 seconds