INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Installed INDI, Kstars, and Eros but broke SkySafari

• Thank you received: 0
I had SkySafari 6 Plus running on my Mac. Equipment details were entered.

After installing KStars with the Indi/Ekos bits, I now cannot access the “Telescope” tab in SkySafari.

Any ideas what I need to do? I deleted the KStars app, but still no joy.

Thanks,
Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37164

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Slightly different problem for me, but I’ve never gotten StellarMate to accept control from SkySafari on my Mac even once, despite following the instructions very carefully.
4 years 11 months ago #37174

The two applications do not interact at all and there is nothing shared between them. So it's odd that KStars would affect SkySafari, perhaps it is a different issue?

The instructions are for SkySafari 5/6 on Mobile.. not sure how the desktop version behaves.
4 years 11 months ago #37176

When I installed Kstars,there was a checkbox for integration with SkySafari so I checked it.

In the end, I did a clean SkySafari install on another Mac. Then I copied the simulation-curriculum from the containers folder and replaced the one on my MacBook. SkySafari now works correctly.

I suspect that the KAstars install did something to that folder on the MacBook which reinstalls of SkySafari did not correct.

Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37196

• Thank you received: 53
really confused? First, do they make a Skysafari that runs on a laptop? Next, why would you want skysafari if you have kstars? I run SS 6 pro on my phone and ipads, but since getting Kstars I've not booted up SS since.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

4 years 11 months ago #37202

You shouldn’t need to be confused.

Yes, SkySafari works on the MacBook.

Personally, I found the interface on SS easier to navigate than KStars. Maybe, I’ll eventually migrate to KStars only, but until then, I want SS to run correctly.

Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37208

The "SkySafari" driver doesn't really change anything in SkySafari programs, it is unaware of them. It is just a bridge that listens to a connection from SkySafari 5/6 mobile and uses that to control mounts in Ekos.

So in SkySafari mobile, instead of connecting directly to the mount WiFi, you connect to Ekos and it acts as a bridge. We had to take this approach since the folks behind SkySafari still refuse to support INDI directly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie Butterworth
4 years 11 months ago #37221

• Thank you received: 53
I was a beta tester for SkySafari 6 pro. (I love it) but kstars has MANY MORE FEATURES AND IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL. Especially since it is all inclusive into the ekos indi package.
I always feel "take the time to learn the best" you won't ever need to upgrade and learn something new later = )
(which talked me into Pixinsight).

With SS I always say "I wish I could..." and in Kstars that never happens because if I wish and I look around a bit I always fine it can!

ok wait. There is one thing. I have defined my tree line (artificial horizon). But I don't think Kstars can use a actual 360 degree image of my site. (that Stellarium and Prism can). Not that is really makes much different other than it looks cool.

Would be cooler - If...

AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Roth, Charlie Butterworth
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Ron Kramer.
4 years 11 months ago #37266
Attachments:

OK, I did get SkySafari working again.

I also reinstalled Kstars - to no ill effect to SkySafri so the orignal issue could be simply bad luck on my behalf. I originally chose SkySafari because it seems simpler for basic planning and looking around, such that my kids could handle it. Since I am beginning astrophotography, I realize that Kstars with PhD2 integration and Ekos, is likely better suited for that.

First on my list of things to achieve is to get my Mac to talk to my mount, starting with simple GoTo commands:

I have an Ioptron ieq45pro that I recently purchased used. I have the Ioptron StarFi wifi adapter for the mount.

I cannot get SkySafari Plus to talk to it correctly. However, I'd also like to get Kstars to operate it.

If anyone could get me a simple "walk-through" of how to get Kstars to perform GoTo via the Ioptron StarFi it would be great. It seems like there are so many options in Kstars that finding something that should be simple is proving more like not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37311

INDI Control Panel ---> iOptron --> Connection

Change to TCP, and enter the StarFi IP address and port. Not sure what they use for port, so you have to check this out.
4 years 11 months ago #37342

Thanks. I got it working last night. When the Indi control panel came up, it only showed part of the input screen. When I expanded it, it found the space for entering the IP address.

It then took a couple of minutes to find the button for making the scope GoTo.

My next challenge will be guiding via my soon arriving Zwo mini (wired initially), then DSLR control (at least my 6d has builtin wifi).

I am also going to try out Astroberry as it may free-up power supply demands.
4 years 11 months ago #37347

Time to create page: 1.418 seconds