INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos with RPi 3B+ and the new Ubuntu 18.04

• Thank you received: 565
I guess this is a naive question, but here goes:

I saw that Ubuntu 18.04 (server) was released for the RPi 3B+ wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi so I went and downloaded/installed/booted one for armhf, added a desktop (xubuntu) and then did the usual things to install Indi/KStars/Ekos and Phd2 (e.g. sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding kstars-bleeding-dbg indi-dbg, and so on). In a straight-forward way (including a lot of googling), I was able to get to a system that seemed to work a lot like my stellarmate (e.g. wifi x11vpn etc). It was running the same release as my stellarmate (can't remember exactly, I think March 10 compile of 3.1 or 3.1.1).

I tried it for an evening imaging session, though, and two things were very disappointing.
1) The vpn was off somehow (repeated characters, much slower) -- ok, this is not related to this forum,
2) sometimes when opening certain windows (e.g. clicking on various ekos and phd2 buttons) the vpn connection would just die, but when I re-connected, the menu was there and I could continue.
3) ekos/kstars crashed 2 or 3 times during the evening--it was not reliable at all. My standard Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Stellarmate on the same Indi/Ekos release is quite stable now with my equipment.
It was using the same physical Raspberry Pi. I just swapped the SD Card with the new software.
I then swapped back in the old SD Card, and things worked well again.

My naive question is, why does the standard release not work well on U18.04? Is it the case that the standard release is complied with Ubuntu 16.04 and if you're running 18.04, it gives you the 16.04 build which somehow doesn't match well? If so, is there a list of which OSs would work and which don't? Are there multiple builds for different OS targets, and if so, should 'apt-get' find the appropriate one automatically?

PS If someone wants to look into this further, and would like some logs to be of help, let me know what you want logged and how I get you those logs.

Thanks,
Hy
5 years 1 week ago #37733

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

As far as I know there is not a rpi version of Kstars / Ekos that will run properly on 18.04, it was built with and for 16.04, as it is only just recently that the new 18.04 version was released for the but I guess in time it will be sorted... :)
5 years 1 week ago #37750

• Thank you received: 140
5 years 1 week ago #37751

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds