INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

NanoPi running KStars - Issues capturing with ASI294MC Pro

• Thank you received: 3
Hello Folks!

I love my RPI3+ running Stellarmate, but I wanted something faster. Faster image solving, faster previews (STF and Debayer). And less crashes... I think the RPI3+ is a tad light for all it has to handle and the CPU spikes regulary.

So I got a NanoPi M4 with 4GB ram.

Thus I have tried the Friendly Desktop and Lunbuntu images provided by Friendly Elec (the manufacturer).

After installing KStars I connect just my ASI294MC Pro and run some tests. In all tests I will get 2 max 3 images out of my camera. Then it nothing. I then need to unplug the camera. Restart Kstars and I can do the same again.

I tried just about anything: bandwidth to 40/80/100 Highspeed mode on/off, shorter cables, usb2 cables instead of usb3 (there is a thread here that says this should work). Several power supplies.

Then I saw a thread here that said it should work with Armbian (bionic) running on the NanoPi.

That seemed to work out well... I get in between of 15 to 40 frames out of the camera and then the same unresponsiveness.

So after two days of struggling with this I hope someone can release me from my pain ;-) I really want this to work.

Thanks,

Marco
4 years 10 months ago #39792

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
Heat maybe? What does Htop report for a cpu temperature? My NanoPC-T4 (same RK3399 SOC as yours) has problems unless I run a fan on it. I was stuck with 30 or so images before I put the fan on.
I'm using Armbian 5.85.
I'm curious if you have the same problem with your ASI385MC?
4 years 10 months ago #39800

I ran it again today. Initial CPU temp 32C. I began capturing immediately. Same issue, after about 10 frames, no frames come in anymore. Temp goes up to max 55C.

I also tried the ASI385. It also fails after a while. I think after maybe 30 frames or so.

I even tried it without Fits previews. This does not make a difference at all.

I also run Armbian 5.85 Stable

The NanoPi keeps functioning without freezing, kstarts keeps running, no problems there either.
4 years 10 months ago #39819

I just tried moving 22GB in older captures from a USB drive to the NanoPi. No issues moving loads of data, CPU heat about the same when capturing.
4 years 10 months ago #39820

• Thank you received: 33
Those temperatures are pretty much the same as mine with the fan running, without fan the idle is around 50 and working around 65-70.
Are you using a powered hub? I just checked here, when I take the hub out, I have the getting stuck at 30 images problem, plugging the hub into the single USB 3 port I have on the NanoPC-T4 and plugging everything else into the hub, the problem disappears. As soon as I plug anything into the USB 2 ports on the NanoPC-T4 the problem returns....turning the fan off will also cause the problem to return.....really hard to diagnose, there might be more than one thing going on.
4 years 10 months ago #39867

• Thank you received: 41
I use a Odroid XU4 running Ubuntu Mate 18.04. I have always used a powered USB3 hub and have never had a problem with image transfer ( also use a ASI294MCpro). The odroid likes a 4A power supply. It also gets pretty hot so I use a thermostatically regulated fan although I have not encountered obvious heat related issues. Sometimes you just have to keep trying different settings until it works. It does sound like a hub related problem though.
Good luck
Mike
4 years 10 months ago #39898

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds