INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Noob question about Kstars/EKOS on non-stellarmate systems e.g. ODROID-N2

• Thank you received: 226
One review of the Odroid-N2 found that connecting high frequency WiFi devices to the USB3 ports can cause an instability. That includes WiFi modules and wireless keyboards and mouse.
The workaround for it for now was to connect such devices to the micro USB2 port via an OTG cable and hub.

I am currently waiting for more the bugs to be worked out in the available Linux distributions made for the Odroid-N2 before I pull the trigger on upgrading to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andrew.
4 years 9 months ago #39916

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69
Hi Mike,
So I have a new Odroid-N2 up and running. Kstars/Phd2 are installed and running (I haven't configured my drivers yet). I have an Amazon 5Ghz wifi USB 3 Hub. www.amazon.ca/Realtek-RTL8192AU-Wireless...ntenna/dp/B078NSSM7W which I configured from ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2394372&page=3
export ARCH=arm64
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y git
git clone https://github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu.git
cd rtl8822bu
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 88x2bu

I tried installing TeamViewer from their website, but the gdeb installer issued an error: needed libc6 > 2.17 which as a ubuntu noob I couldn't resolve.
I was able to install vncserver using www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials...-vnc-on-ubuntu-18-04. It connects, but just gives a blank grey screen, which I can't seem to get around.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks
Jerry
4 years 9 months ago #40181

• Thank you received: 41
Hi Jerry,
So you should install Team Viewer host on the odroid and TeamViewer (viewer) on any of your machines that you want access the Odroid from.
I thought the GLIBC 2.7 was already part of the Ubuntu Mate 18.04 but you will also need to install a "QT5 package" here are detailed instructions from the Team Viewer website . Pick the ARM installation and follow the instructions from this webpage.
Y
community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Ba...-for-Linux/ta-p/6318
Get back if you hit snags. I don't remember having any problems when I installed it but that was a while ago now.
Team Viewer drops out a few times at the start but is more stable the longer you use it for.
I tend to use it to start up and do stuff when I at the scope (polar alignment etc) then close Team Viewer down (leaving KStars/INDI/EKOS running) and go inside where I use the KStars for Windows on my desktop using the remote profile (I can still remote in using team viewer if needed). The Windows GUI is nicer and better resolution so I tend to prefer this when I am at home.
I could not get the vnc server going either.
Real VNC is easy on RPi but not supported on Odroid.
You can SSH into terminal from windows or use remote desktop in Windows (although this for some reason always defaulted to a gnome desktop and I just couldn't get it to change) but to be honest I have always found Team Viewer to give the best compromise in stability and speed and resolution.
Let me know if you are still having problems and I will go through the process step by step. Make sure your Ubuntu is updated but if you are still getting the GLIBC 2.17 error it may need to be installed separately although I don't remember it being necessary for me.

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40195

The GLIBC version will be higher than 2.17
I think that 2.27 is the version for Ubuntu 18.04
So update using
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get install libc-bin=2.27-3ubuntu1

This should allow TV to work. But follow the instructions on the previous post website link.

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40196

an apt-get install indicates that libc-bin is already the newest version (2.2.7-3ubuntu)
when running the TV pgk TeamViewer_14.3.4730_amd64.deb I still get the same error: Dependency is not 'satisflable':libc6(>=2.17)

Is there a way to create a symlink somewhere to force the install to recognize the newer libc6?

P.S. I was able to get a tightvnc server running reasonably well (no grey screen), but my sysytemd service for it will start it, but not after a reboot.

<code>/etc/systemd/system/vncserver@.service
[Unit]
Description=Start TightVNC server at startup
#After=syslog.target network.target
After=syslog.target network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
User=odroid
Group=odroid
WorkingDirectory=/home/odroid
#RestartSec=35
#Restart=on-failure

PIDFile=/home/odroid/.vnc/%H:%i.pid
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :%i > /dev/null 2>&1
ExecStart=/usr/bin/vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1280x800 :%i
ExecStop=/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :%i
</code>

Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Jerry Black.
4 years 9 months ago #40205

Hi Jerry,

Isn't the Odroid N2 an ARM processor? :)
You should be using the ARM not AMD package of TeamViewer Host on the Odroid.
Go here
www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/?pi...EfHGUX8aAqY1EALw_wcB
Scroll down to the Team Viewer Host section. Download and install the ARMV7 32 bit and try again

I think that this version will work on the N2 but there is a fix for the 64bit ARMV8 but only try it if the V7 does not work
I found it on the Team Viewer forum here
community.teamviewer.com/t5/Linux/armv8-...-build/m-p/9916#M338

dpkg --add-architecture armhf
apt update
apt-get install libxtst6:armhf
dpkg -i teamviewer-host_armhf.deb
apt install -f
teamviewer --daemon enable

I am pretty sure that the armV7 32 bit version will work as it has been upgraded since this question was asked.

Get rid of the AMD version as it should not work on the Odroid
Persevere it should all work!
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
4 years 9 months ago #40217

Thanks MIke,
So I downloaded the arm version (duh!) teamviewer-host_14.3.4730_armhf.deb
it complained about the architecture, so as suggested I added
dpkg --add-architecture armhf
apt update
and tried the install again.

Same error about libc6 : Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libc6(>=2.17) so I must have introduced a system configuration error somewhere else.
Thanks, I'll plug away at this. I may start with a fresh odroid-n2 install.
4 years 9 months ago #40239

Hi Jerry,

Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes a fresh start is the way to go. I get the install to a point where I have a basic setup with KStars then do an image of the SD so that if anything goes wrong in the future I can load everything back on including astrometry etc. It is a good insurance policy. I will continue to ponder on the problem .
I am having my own issues with a triplet apo scope with odd optics and have just bitten the bullet and re-centred the lens elements (scary stuff but the star test now looks perfect -WoHoo!!).
Stay in touch and keep posting as I am sure other people will start to use the N2 and your experience will help others.

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40250

I had a look at the N2 forums and you are not the only one having problems. A few people suggested an experimental version of NoMachine which was working for them Use the V8 ARM version if you want to give it a go. www.nomachine.com/download/linux&id=30&s=ARM
There may be some issues with TeamViewer on the N2 which were not present with the XU4 as I did not have any of the issues that you are facing.
I will speak to a friend who is more proficient in this than me and see if he has any ideas.

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40262

Wow, Thank You! That worked painlessly!
sudo dpkg -i nomachine_6.7.6_3_arm64.deb

Running nicely now, with my 90M fits files, this is fast. There are still some USB issues to work out, but I think they can be overcome. With this Firefox window open and KStars I'm using 2.7 G RAM.

I will summarize my install process/issues once I have things stabilized a bit more.

Mike, next time you're in Canada, I owe you a libation (and Jasem) :)
4 years 9 months ago #40276

• Thank you received: 226
Hello fellow Canuck. I use NoMachine on my Pi and it's a pretty decent remote desktop app I rather like. I'm glad to hear it is working on the Odroid-N2.
The decision to get one is looking clearer the more I read about real world experiences here.
4 years 9 months ago #40278

Sooo pleased that it has worked and good to know that others planning on using N2 have an easy way of remoting in and using it headless.
You should see a massive jump in performance over the Pi.
Use the stable versions of KStars 3.2.3 and avoid the nightly builds as they do introduce frustration unless something is not working of course.
My adventures with triplet lens element re-centering worked out well. Found out I had some tilt issues too but sorted those out last night using a T2 tilter and the first clear skies for a while.
Everything's right with the World!! :)

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40279

Time to create page: 0.782 seconds