INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars star display options

• Thank you received: 9
I'm sure I am in the minority here but I have low vision. The last I looked through a scope was 40 years ago, back when my vision was a bit better.

Having said that I find KStars to be very difficult on my eyes. The stars are tiny and there is not much differentiation between bright stars and faint ones. In my opinion it looks nothing like what my CCD delivers where star disc size varies significantly with magnitude.

To the best of my ability I've looked through all options in KStars but I can't get the same experience as I do with C2A which unfortunately is Windows-only.

Thanks.
4 years 9 months ago #40342

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

I actually agree with you here, and not sure if there is any setting that would help, for me it’s even worse as I have a 4K monitor and the start are almost invisible, I have to set the scale setting on my PC to 140% to make it useable, so whatever you do don’t get a 4K monitor anytime soon... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kamisan
4 years 9 months ago #40350

• Thank you received: 41
I use a laptop with 4K monitor . I drop the screen resolution to 1920 X 1080 and scale to 150%. I find this works really well with KStars for windows and using the laptop to connect to my Odroid using KStars on Ubuntu Mate. If I use standard 4K resolution I scale up to 300% but usually avoid this as some of the icons don't scale up. Use the HiPS sky overlay on the DSS setting and this gives nice colours that can better show the stars. It works for me anyway.
Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40352

I'm getting hidpi (1440) displays this summer so I'll try to work on that and make KStars more accessible.
4 years 9 months ago #40412

Hi Jasem, 1440 is not 4K...! Why not go the whole way to 3840 x 2160..?
4 years 9 months ago #40417

Maybe because I want to this get this baby ? :D
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
4 years 9 months ago #40418

Nice.... :0 :)
4 years 9 months ago #40419

• Thank you received: 2
Hi everybody,

I know this is an old thread, but as far as I can see the problem still persists.
It is very difficult to distinguish between a 6mag star and a 10mag star. It would be nice to make the sizes of the star symbols configurable depending on their magnitude.

Best regards
Andreas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
1 year 1 month ago #90337

Time to create page: 0.747 seconds