INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Setting up the Odroid-N2 to use Kstars/Ekos

• Thank you received: 69
My steps to get Kstars/Ekos running on an Odroid-N2. I hope this might be useful to someone else. My apologies in advance if I lead you astray.

First of all, a thanks to spartacus for all his help in getting to this point.

I probably have left out some steps, but this approach appeared to work for me. The only thing I’m missing is creating a stand alone wi-fi AP access point in lieu of my local wi-fi network (and the automatic selection of that network, if no local network is found).

The Odroid-N2 is fast (6 cores) with lots of RAM ( I chose the 4 G RAM model). This has solved my apparent problems with my RPi3B+. Stellarmate on the other hand is much easier to get going.

hardkernel.com/ odroid official release east.us.odroid.in/ubuntu_18.04lts/N2/ubu...d-n2-20190325.img.xz
I wrote this to a 32G eemc card using balenaEtcher.

Power on, wait until it stops blinking, unplug, power on again with keyboard, mouse, HDMI.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update

I installed synaptic, but of course it’s optional.
sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo apt-get install indi-full
sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding

Wi-FI Installation
For the USB wi-fi adapter I chose (listed below) and as described in ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2394372&page=3
export ARCH=arm64
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y git
git clone https://github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu.git
cd rtl8822bu
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 88x2bu
Note that when Update Manager offers a newer kernel version you must recompile after the requested reboot:
cd rtl8822bu
make clean
git pull
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 88x2bu
autologin
It appears we must enable autologin to enable remote login via NoMachine before remote desktop access.
sudo nano /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-greeter-wrapper.conf 
[Seat:*]
greeter-wrapper=/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-greeter-session
autologin-user=odroid

NoMachine Remote Access
I had a problem with VNC tightvnc keyboard mapping, and install issues with TeamViewer. NoMachine worked nicely. Use the V8 ARM version if you want to give it a go. www.nomachine.com/download/linux&id=30&s...ad/linux&id=30&s=ARM

Bonjour discovery
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon avahi-autoipd
SAMBA sharing via SMS
Follow this guideline if you would like to configure simple desktop network access to the odroid.
www.computerbeginnersguides.com/blog/201...18-04-bionic-beaver/

GPSD
I have this GPS unit
Stratux Vk-162 Remote Mount USB GPS
sudo apt-get install gpsd

I downloaded this script (thank you Rob Lancaste)
github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3/blob/maste...er/udevRuleScript.sh
chmod +x udevRuleScript.sh
# execute the script to identify the GPS device
./udevRuleScript.sh  
I chose to leave out the serial number in the ID.

Astrometry.net
sudo apt-get install astrometry.net
I transferred the data files from the Mac manually onto the Odroid, as I had problems with file permission using the built-in index file loaded inside kstars.

Device used for wi-fi USB
Realtek RTL8812BU USB WiFi Adapter 1200 Mbps 5dBi Antenna AC1200 Dual Band 5.8GHz 2.4GHz WiFi Dongle IEEE 802.11 a b g n ac for Laptop Desktop PC USB 3.0 Network Adapter Support Windows 10/8/7 Mac
www.amazon.ca/Realtek-RTL8192AU-Wireless...ntenna/dp/B078NSSM7W

Network for USB 2
Micro usb 4 port hub used on the OTG micro port to amerliorate issues with USB 2/3 on the built-in ports.
www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01JL837X8/ref=...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, Spartacus
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Jerry Black.
4 years 9 months ago #40378

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
Well done Jerry!
Thanks for sharing

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
4 years 9 months ago #40384

• Thank you received: 226
Thank you too.
I will probably be ordering one soon thanks to your encouraging experiences.
4 years 9 months ago #40385

Apparently you can drop an Odroid-N2 onto concrete as it falls off the OTA and it survives. It's fairly heavy with the heat sink and usb adapters (378 gm). The velcro attaching it gave way.
It hit hard enough that the eMMC card popped off the SBC so it wouldn't boot and the USB wifi adapter was loose, but plugging in the eMMC card let it boot again.
Whew!
That would have been a short-lived device.
4 years 9 months ago #40422

• Thank you received: 33
Glad there was no permanent damage. My RaspberryPi 3b fell off my ota onto the paved driveway once but no damage, my Nanopc-t4 fell off but was saved by the mount cable that was plugged into a usb port. I changed from using regular velcro (if there is such a thing) to the dual lock 3m stuff. There are drawbacks, if you need to separate things it really takes some muscle, sometimes the sticky backing rips off whatever I have it stuck to but for the most part it is really good, and nothing ever falls off now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Brian.
4 years 9 months ago #40430

After eventually tweaking things until my Nikon Z7 wouldn't connect in the Indi Control panel, I re-flashed my Odroid-N2 system and used rlancaste's AstroPi3.sh script www.indilib.org/forum/general/5524-astro...scripts-revised.html to get things working again. The only addition for me was re-compiling the driver for my rtl8822bu wifi dongle (which I see now rlancaste also has a script for) and using NoMachine for remote desktop access. Thank you Rob.
4 years 7 months ago #42190

• Thank you received: 19
Hi Jerry,
did you (or someone else ) tried to install FireCapture on the Odroid N2+? I followed your instructions here, so Kstars, Indi and PHD2 is installed and working. But for planetary photography I want to install Firecapture. It dont work... Am I right to install the armhf-Version, right? I tried 2.6 and the 2.7beta...

Can someone help?

Bets regards

Jürgen

P.S.: on the Raspberry Pi (Stellarmate) I installed Firecapture with success, but its really slow... So I hoped for the faster Odroid...
2 years 10 months ago #70887

I haven't tried that lately, mainly because I discovered my ZWO ASI224MC camera's USB is broken so that it only functions in USB2 mode only, which I assume would negate any high speed capture.
2 years 10 months ago #70891

• Thank you received: 19
Hi Jerry, ok, I see. But thank you anyway for the quick reply :-)
2 years 10 months ago #70899

Time to create page: 0.893 seconds