INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to force Telescope Simulator to always track

• Thank you received: 9
Quick background: I don't have a go-to mount but I use KStars/Ekos to visualize where the scope is pointing after a plate solve using Telescope Simulator.

The telescope simulator's icon (bull's eye with cross hairs) syncs after a plate solve but then immediately starts drifting eastward. To stop it I have to click on KStar's menu: Pointing -> Engage Tracking. The annoying thing is I have to Engage Tracking quite a lot. I tried INDI control panel settings but found nothing there that had any effect. There could be some setting in KStars that I am unaware of.

So this was just a minor annoyance until recently when I began doing photometry where AIRMASS (in the FITS header) is important.

I just discovered that when Ekos captures a frame it writes these keywords in the FITS header: OBJCTRA, OBJCTDEC, RA, DEC, and AIRMASS. The problem is that the values are coming from the Telescope Simulator, not the last Plate Solve! That means that if I don't engage tracking in KStars and then start a 10 frame capture sequence, the position of the object changes with each new frame.

Is there a way to permanently turn on tracking?

Thank you.
4 years 9 months ago #40433

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
When you start Ekos with the simulators simply go to the Mount tab and enable tracking there.
4 years 9 months ago #40434

I'll take a look at it again. Last night I am 99.9% positive I did that but still the simulator was very eager to switch off tracking after a plate solve.

Perhaps it is the type of plate solve I do: "Sync".
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by kamisan.
4 years 9 months ago #40435

I would have been very surprised if you hadn’t done that. FWIW, when a sync is done, the mount is informed at which coordinates it is pointing and it continues tracking.
4 years 9 months ago #40436

You know, I was just thinking, I tried to engage tracking from INDI control panel. Tonight I will try from the Ekos mount tab.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by kamisan.
4 years 9 months ago #40438

Yep, that was it, the Mount tab in Ekos. Saves me a lot of work repairing FITS headers!

Thanks.
4 years 9 months ago #40441

Great! I'm glad you found the reason for tracking switching off all the time.
4 years 9 months ago #40442

Time to create page: 0.617 seconds